Combo Box

  1. #1
    magix
    Guest

    Combo Box

    Hi,

    In my userform, i have

    Firstname: <DropdownList>

    Question:
    1. If I want the value of DropDownList to be read from code, how can I do it
    via code by hardcoding the entries in combobox_change() function ?
    Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()

    2. If I want the value of DropDownList to be read from Column A1:A10 (note
    there are redundant value, how to avoid ?)
    Example:
    A1: Johnson
    A2: Stephen
    A3: Michael
    A4: Daryl
    A5: Michael
    A6: Johnson
    A7: Rebecca
    A8: Johnson
    A9: Sally
    A10: Sally

    So the drop down list will actually read from A1: A10 and have only
    Johnson
    Stephen
    Michael
    Daryl
    Rebecca
    Sally

    3. After I click OK in the userform, how can I pass the selected value to my
    module code ?

    Please advise. Thanks

    Regards,
    Magix

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Combo Box

    1. Me.Combobox1.Value

    2. Use a dictionary onject

    Dim oDic As Object
    Dim i As Long
    Dim aItems
    Set oDic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 1 To Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row
    oDic.Add Cells(i, "A").Value, Cells(i, "A")
    End With
    On Error GoTo 0

    'trabsefr dictionary to an array
    aItems = oDic.Items
    With Me.combobox1
    .Clear
    For i = 0 To oDic.Count - 1
    .AddItem aItems(i)
    Next
    End With
    Set oDic = Nothing

    3. In the OK button click event

    Activesheet.Range("A1").Value = me.Combobox1.Value

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    magix
    Guest

    Re: Combo Box

    Hi Bob,

    1. Do you mean I put like this ?
    Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()
    Me.Combobox1.Value = "David"
    Me.Combobox1.Value = "Rebecca"
    Me.Combobox1.Value = "Kenix"
    Me.Combobox1.Value = "Isaac"
    End Sub

    2. Where should I put this code that you written ? in " Private Sub
    ComboBox1_Change( )" ?
    Dim oDic As Object
    Set oDic = Nothing

    Regards.

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Combo Box

    1. Why would you want multiple values on the change. What I gave you showed
    you how to get the selected value. probably in the click event. If you are
    trying to load the combobox. you need

    Me.Combobox1.AddItem "David"

    etc., but not in the change event, in the userform ac tivate event.

    2. Again in userform activate when you are getting all the values.

  5. #5
    magix
    Guest

    Re: Combo Box

    Hi Bob,

    I tried with your code, and it works.

    > Dim oDic As Object
    > Dim i As Long
    > Dim aItems
    > Set oDic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    > On Error Resume Next
    > For i = 1 To Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row
    > oDic.Add Cells(i, "A").Value, Cells(i, "A")
    > Next i
    > On Error GoTo 0
    >
    > 'trabsefr dictionary to an array
    > aItems = oDic.Items
    > With Me.combobox1
    > .Clear
    > For i = 0 To oDic.Count - 1
    > .AddItem aItems(i)
    > Next
    > End With
    > Set oDic = Nothing

    How can I modify your code to filter the value that contains certain
    substring, which I do not want it to be add into the list ?
    Based on my example below: the output should be
    Johnson
    Stephen
    Michael
    Daryl
    Rebecca
    Sally

    If I want to add additional filter to filter if the value contains substring
    "Reb", it is has "Reb", I will not add it into combo list. So the final list
    will be
    Johnson
    Stephen
    Michael
    Daryl
    Sally

    Hope you understand what I mean.

    Thank you.

    Best Regards,
    Magix

  6. #6
    magix
    Guest

    Re: Combo Box

    Hi Bob,

    If I use your dictionary code, then in Change event, how should I do ? is it
    like this ? But I think this is not so appropriate.

    let say in my combo box, i have list
    David
    Johnson
    Michael

    Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()
    Select Case ComboBox1.Text
    Case "David"
    Me.ComboBox1.Value = "David"
    Case "Johnson"
    Me.ComboBox1.Value = "Johnson"
    Case "Michael"
    Me.ComboBox1.Value = "Michael"
    Case Else
    End Select
    End Sub

    If not, what is the appropriate one, with respect to your dictionary object
    ?

    BestRegards,
    Magix

  7. #7
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Combo Box

    I think this is what you mean

    Dim oDic As Object
    Dim i As Long
    Dim aItems
    Set oDic = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 1 To Range("A1").End(xlDown).Row
    If Not Cells(i,"A").Value Like "*Reb*" Then
    oDic.Add Cells(i, "A").Value, Cells(i, "A").Value
    End If
    End With
    On Error GoTo 0

    'transfer dictionary to an array
    aItems = oDic.Items
    With Me.combobox1
    .Clear
    For i = 0 To oDic.Count - 1
    .AddItem aItems(i)
    Next
    End With
    Set oDic = Nothing

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Combo Box

    I really do not understand what you are trying to do here, you test an
    object for David, and if true, set it to David!

  9. #9
    magix

  10. #10
    magix
    Guest

    Re: Combo Box

    So usually, what is the common coding in change event ?

  11. #11
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Combo Box

    You get the changed value, and you process it in some way, which only you
    can say what that should be.