Barcode Help

  1. #1
    Las Vegas

    Barcode Help

    Hello,

    Here is what we need:

    We have an Excel spreadsheet with a bunch of serial numbers. We need to get these serial numbers printed on labels. Is it possible in Excel to have a column full of serial numbers and print them each to their own label on a label sheet (Avery)?

    If anyone can offer some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

    Thanks,

    Eric

  2. #2
    Guest

    Re: Barcode Help

    Hi

    I believe there is a free downloadable program available from the Avery
    website which allows you to print labels from Excel.
    Have a look here:
    http://www.avery.co.uk/uk1/downloads/wizzard.jsp

    Andy.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Barcode Help

    Eric

    Excel doesn't have such a feature and setting up for printing is trial and
    error.

    Word has the Mailmerge feature which does quite nicely.

    For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source.

    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMe...AMailMerge.htm

    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMe...DataSource.htm

    And a training tutorial for creating envelopes and labels.

    http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC010390291033

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  4. #4
    Ruskin Hardie
    Guest

    Re: Barcode Help

    You can download the CODE39.TTF true type font, free from the internet
    (various sites supply it, just do a google search).

    Once you download it, open your fonts (under control panel, fonts), then
    choose 'file', 'install new font' and browse to where you downloaded the ttf
    file.

    In any application, you can now type in the * sign around your serial number
    (eg: serial number AB123, must be *ABC123*), then select the text and change
    the font to Code39. This works fine in Excel, if you type in *AB123*, then
    change the format of the cell to Code39.

    If you use Word, make sure you turn off the auto-formatting, as Word will
    automatically bold anything that has the * sign around it (under 'tools',
    'auto correct', select the 'autoformat' tab and remove the tick in '*bold*
    and _underline_ with real formatting'

    "TheEricHarris" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ruskin Hardie
    Guest

    Re: Barcode Help

    Sorry, my mistake...

    Are we talking labels (as per your message) or barcoding (as per the
    subject)?

    "Ruskin Hardie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > You can download the CODE39.TTF true type font, free from the internet
    > (various sites supply it, just do a google search).
    >
    > Once you download it, open your fonts (under control panel, fonts), then
    > choose 'file', 'install new font' and browse to where you downloaded the

    ttf
    > file.
    >
    > In any application, you can now type in the * sign around your serial

    number
    > (eg: serial number AB123, must be *ABC123*), then select the text and

    change
    > the font to Code39. This works fine in Excel, if you type in *AB123*, then
    > change the format of the cell to Code39.
    >
    > If you use Word, make sure you turn off the auto-formatting, as Word will
    > automatically bold anything that has the * sign around it (under 'tools',
    > 'auto correct', select the 'autoformat' tab and remove the tick in '*bold*
    > and _underline_ with real formatting'
    >

    > "TheEricHarris"

    <[email protected]>