Can I set gridlines in excel as a default setting? How?

  1. #1
    JES
    Guest

    Can I set gridlines in excel as a default setting? How?

    I understand how to set the gridlines for each individual worksheet but is it
    possible to change the default settings so that all worksheets have gridlines
    automatically?
    If so, how?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    Make sure gridlines box is ticked in:-

    Tools/options/view - window options

  3. #3

    Re: Can I set gridlines in excel as a default setting? How?

    Existing worksheets, too?

    I don't think so. But you could make your life somewhat easier by adding an
    icon to your favorite toolbar that toggles the gridlines.

    Tools|Customize|Commands tab|Forms Toolbar
    Look for Toggle Grid near the bottom
    Drag it to a nice location.

    Then just click that button to toggle the gridlines the way you want.

    ps. I usually turn off the gridlines. I'd rather use borders. I have more
    control over what they look like.

  4. #4
    JES
    Guest

    Re: Can I set gridlines in excel as a default setting? How?

    Thanks, I already have the gridlines showing on screen but what I actually
    meant to ask was how do I set it up to automatically print the gridlines for
    my worksheets?

    Any idea?

    Thanks

  5. #5

    Re: Can I set gridlines in excel as a default setting? How?

    You could record a macro that changes this setting and just run it whenever you
    want.

    For new workbooks and new worksheets added to existing workbooks, you can create
    a book.xlt and sheet.xlt in your XLStart folder.

    Set up everything you want and when you click on the New icon, your new workbook
    will inherit all the settings from Book.xlt.

  6. #6
    JES
    Guest

    Re: Can I set gridlines in excel as a default setting? How?

    Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately your explanation was like
    having a conversation with the teacher from Charlie Brown! Sorry, I'm just
    not that technical!!

    Thanks anyway

  7. #7

    Re: Can I set gridlines in excel as a default setting? How?

    Open excel.
    Hit alt-f11 (to get to the VBE, where macros live)
    hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)
    type this and hit enter:
    ?application.startuppath
    Make a note of the drive/folder that comes back.

    Now back to excel and create those workbooks exactly the way you want them. But
    save each as a template (book.xlt and sheet.xlt) in that folder.

    It's not too bad to do.

  8. #8
    JES
    Guest

    Re: Can I set gridlines in excel as a default setting? How?

    Thanks Dave,
    I'll give that a go!
    Happy New Year!