Help with keeping formulas in place!

  1. #1

    Unhappy Help with keeping formulas in place!

    Hi Hi!

    I need some rookie help!

    My situation:

    I run a youth group, and need to keep track of several hundred kids. I know Access is the solution to all my problems, but as an interim solution am trying to figure out a way to do it in excel.

    I have one workspace with several sheets.

    sheet 1 - list of all participants and their contact information
    sheet 2 - copy of all 3rd graders contacts
    sheet 3 - copy of all 4th graders contacts
    etc...

    Goal: I need, while maintain full usability of the first "control" sheet (sorting, adding new enteries, updating existing etc..), to have excel to keep track of the data divided by age groups (one of the parameters on the first sheet)

    I tried to use the = sign in the formula field and suggest that row 1 in sheet 2 = row 3 in sheet 1 for example. That didn't work because the moment I sort the first list differently, the relationship is maintained with that specific row, and not the specific record.

    Help please!!

  2. #2
    Jacob_F_Roecker
    Guest

    RE: Help with keeping formulas in place!

    Using only formulas there's a solution. It might be a bit more involved than
    what you want to do. Let me see if I can describe it for you.

    Establish 2 interum spreadsheets called 'sort1' and 'sort2'

    The purpose of sort 1 is to assign a numerical value based upon grade to
    each one of your kids. In order for this to work each grade will have to be
    entered the same way. I'd suggest for your 'grade' field that you use a drop
    down list. The result is that all of the fourth graders would be numbered
    400-499, thrid graders 300-399 etc. If you had more than 100 kids in each
    grade then you could base your number value system on thousands instead.

    Sort2 will allow you to change any formatting necessary before you put them
    into their own sheets.

    To get the data into it's own sheet all you have to do is a Vlookup that
    references sheet2 and that counts as it goes.

    The formulas will increase the size of the document but you will have a
    dynamic workbook that may open slow but operate quickly. No matter how you
    sort original data on the input or master sheet it will always break them
    down the way you want them too. If you alphabetize your master sheet, each
    grade sheet will be alphabetized. If you sort them by age each grade sheet
    will be sorted by age. etc.

    I didn't include examples on the formulas because they need to be specific
    for how you have your sheets labeled. It sounds like a complicated project
    but you'll be able to cut and paste the formulas as you go and this will save
    some time. Using the "$" in the right places will help make certain
    references absolute and increase productivity.

    Access is still the right program. Excel will work as an interum.

    I usually ask folks to send me the files and let me set them up. The
    problem this time is your spreadsheet has information about kids on it. If
    you feel comfortable send it my way and I'll see what I can do.

    I do believe I'm about as far away from your kids as anyone can get. I'm a
    soldier in Iraq and we've got some young folks in the army but no fourth
    graders.

    Good Luck!

    -Jacob F. Roecker
    [email protected]

  3. #3

    Re: Help with keeping formulas in place!

    I think you'd be better served to keep all your data in one worksheet (well, if
    you stay with excel).

    Then apply data|filter|autofilter to show/hide what you want hidden and shown.

    If you really do want separate sheets for each grade, you can use a macro to
    delete the secondary sheets and recreate them each time the data changes. That
    means that each change goes to the total combined sheet--any change to the
    individual grade sheet is essentially a waste of time.

    Debra Dalgleish and Ron de Bruin have samples that you may like. Ron's addin
    may be sufficient right out of the box.

    Debra's site:

    Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
    separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
    automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

    or

    Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
    Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
    AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb

    And Ron de Bruin's easyfilter.
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

  4. #4