text to date..!!

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor

    text to date..!!

    if i am having a date in a cell as 30/11/2005 but formatted in text, what's the procedure to change the same to date format as "30-Mar-2005"?

    thks & regds!

    via135

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor

    text to date!!

    sorry! a small correction!

    if i am having a date in a cell as 30/11/2005 but formatted in text, what's the procedure to change the same to date format as "30-Nov-2005"?

    thks & regds!

    via135

    Quote Originally Posted by via135

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: text to date..!!

    Hi

    One way, with your date in A1, enter in B1
    =--A1
    Format>Cells>Number>Custom dd=mmm-yyyy

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: text to date..!!

    Select cell and Data>Text to Columns>Next>Next

    Data Format Type>Date DMY Finish.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: text to date..!!

    One fairly easy solution, select the cell/column with the text dates,
    do data>text to column, click next twice and under column data format
    select date and from the dropdown select DMY and click finish, this will
    change it to a numerical date and then you can just use custom format like

    dd-mmm-yyyy

    Peo Sjoblom

    "via135" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: text to date..!!

    Hi Roger,

    that would work if the OP is using UK regional settings but not if he uses
    US since it will return a value error

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Nikki
    Guest

    Re: text to date..!!

    if your date is in cell A1 in the next cell type =datevalue(A1), then go to
    format-->cell--> date-->choose type 14-Mar-2001 ( it is the last item).

    Hope it works.
    happy Holidays!

  8. #8
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: text to date..!!

    This won't work if the OP is using US regional settings which I suspect
    he/she might do

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Forum Contributor

    text to date!

    hi

    thks everyone for ur immediate response!

    via135

    Quote Originally Posted by Peo Sjoblom