Extracting a column from a named range

  1. #1
    Andy Chan
    Guest

    Extracting a column from a named range

    Dear all,

    I have named a range "Scores" across 3 sheets (i.e.
    Sheet1:Sheet3!$A$1:$B$10). How can I find the median of values in "Scores"
    in Sheet1 ONLY? I don't know how to provide the target range in the function
    MEDIAN().

    Best Regards,
    Andy Chan

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a column from a named range

    On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:24:06 +0800, "Andy Chan"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dear all,
    >
    > I have named a range "Scores" across 3 sheets (i.e.
    >Sheet1:Sheet3!$A$1:$B$10). How can I find the median of values in "Scores"
    >in Sheet1 ONLY? I don't know how to provide the target range in the function
    >MEDIAN().
    >
    >Best Regards,
    >Andy Chan

    =MEDIAN(Sheet3:Sheet1!A1:B10)

    --ron

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a column from a named range

    You won't be able to use the name if it spans many sheets, you will have to
    use the cell references

    =MEDIAN(Sheet1!$A$1:$B$10)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Andy Chan
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a column from a named range

    Dear Bob,

    Why not? I just follow the instruction here:

    It works. However, I don't know how to select the first "column".

    Best Regards,
    Andy

    "Bob Phillips" <[email protected]> 撰寫於郵件新聞:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a column from a named range

    On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 07:54:52 -0500, Ron Rosenfeld <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 19:24:06 +0800, "Andy Chan"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Dear all,
    >>
    >> I have named a range "Scores" across 3 sheets (i.e.
    >>Sheet1:Sheet3!$A$1:$B$10). How can I find the median of values in "Scores"
    >>in Sheet1 ONLY? I don't know how to provide the target range in the function
    >>MEDIAN().
    >>
    >>Best Regards,
    >>Andy Chan
    >>

    >=MEDIAN(Sheet3:Sheet1!A1:B10)
    >

    >--ron

    I neglected to mention that you can define scores as that cell reference:

    scores =Sheet3:Sheet1!$A$1:$B$10

    --ron

  6. #6
    Andy Chan
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a column from a named range

    I only want to compute the median of the data in Sheet1 only... But I want
    to use the name of the range (Scores)... How can I do it?

    "Ron Rosenfeld" <[email protected]>
    ???????:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a column from a named range

    I'm sure it is possible one way or another.
    But i do find you get yourself into trouble by choosing a rather complex way
    to name a range and then want to use that name but mean something else.
    The logic escapes me.
    Can you explain what you're trying to do which makes this necessay?

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a column from a named range

    On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 23:06:05 +0800, "Andy Chan"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I only want to compute the median of the data in Sheet1 only... But I want
    >to use the name of the range (Scores)... How can I do it?

    If I understand you correctly, you wish to use the name Scores on each of
    several sheets, and have it refer the that sheet only.

    One way to do this is to enter three names:

    Navigate to Sheet1 and then define a name:

    Instead of NAMEing as Scores, use the NAME Sheet1!Scores and set it equal to
    A1:B10.

    Then navigate to Sheet2 and define a name as Sheet2!Scores referring to
    Sheet2!A1:B10.

    The same for Sheet3.

    If you are on the 'native' sheet, you can refer to just Scores -- e.g
    =MEDIAN(Scores).

    If you are on, let us say, Sheet1 and you want to refer to sheet3, you could
    use the formula: =MEDIAN(Sheet3!Scores)

    --ron

  9. #9
    Andy Chan
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a column from a named range

    Dear Niek,

    My situation is like this: I want to maintain a file containing
    information of 80 classes of students, the information of students of each
    class is contained in one sheet. Every sheet has a similar structure, say
    columns A to I are for name, gender, scores of each subject, etc. For
    example, F1:F20 of each sheet contain scores of math exams of the
    corresponding class. I want to find the 80 medians of scores of math exams,
    as well as the overall median. Therefore, I want to name these ranges. Is it
    clear? Thanks in advance!

    Best Regards,
    Andy

    "Niek Otten" <[email protected]> 撰寫於郵件新聞:[email protected]...

  10. #10
    Andy Chan
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a column from a named range

    Dear Ron,

    Yes! That's what I want! Thanks!

    Best Regards,
    Andy

  11. #11
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Extracting a column from a named range

    On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 02:40:23 +0800, "Andy Chan"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dear Ron,
    >
    > Yes! That's what I want! Thanks!
    >
    >Best Regards,
    >Andy

    Glad to help. I'm also glad I finally understood the nature of your problem;
    sorry it took me so long.

    --ron