How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered

  1. #1
    Captain
    Guest

    How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered

    How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered.
    Example:A1 = 01/02/2005, A2 should Show Monday or MON.
    I have Excel 2000.

  2. #2
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered

    Try this:

    Select the cell(s) that are impacted
    Format>Cells>Number tab
    Category: Custom

    Type: ddd
    Returns: Mon, Tue, etc

    Type: dddd
    Returns: Monday, Tuesday, etc

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  3. #3
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered

    Hi Captn'

    Try =TEXT(A1,"ddd") which will return SUN, not MON for 1/2/2005

    Howard

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Sumuwin

    Captain Wrote:
    > How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered.
    > Example:A1 = 01/02/2005, A2 should Show Monday or MON.
    > I have Excel 2000.

    select Format, Cells, (Number) ,Custom and type ddd in the Type box.

    --
    Sumuwin

  5. #5
    Captain

    "Captain" wrote:

    > How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered.
    > Example:A1 = 01/02/2005, A2 should Show Monday or MON.
    > I have Excel 2000.

    Thanks! Is there a way to get the week # for a specific date?

  6. #6
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date ente

    You'd think that was an easy question, right?

    Check Chip Pearson's website for the range of answers....

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/weeknum.htm

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  7. #7
    Captain

    "L. Howard Kittle" wrote:

    > Hi Captn'
    >
    > Try =TEXT(A1,"ddd") which will return SUN, not MON for 1/2/2005
    >

    > HTH
    > Regards,
    > Howard
    >
    > "Captain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered.
    > > Example:A1 = 01/02/2005, A2 should Show Monday or MON.
    > > I have Excel 2000.

    > Thanks!
    > How do I get a cell to show the Week Number for specific dates?

    Thanks again
    Captain

  8. #8
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How do I get a cell to show the day of the week when date entered

    Unless the Captain is English, then it would return TUE

    <bg>

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Captain

  10. #10
    Captain

    "Ron Coderre" wrote:

    > You'd think that was an easy question, right?
    >
    > Check Chip Pearson's website for the range of answers....
    >
    > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/weeknum.htm
    >
    > Does that help?

    > Regards,
    > Ron