Turning off merge message

  1. #1
    David P.
    Guest

    Turning off merge message

    How do I turn off the warning message that says "The selection contains
    multiple data values. Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
    data only." I would like the merge to happen without the warning. Your help
    is appreciated.
    --
    David P.

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Turning off merge message

    One approach to resolve your request is to *avoid* what the message is
    warning about, therefore XL doesn't need to display it.

    If *only* the top left cell of the merge range contains data, you won't get
    the warning message.
    Can't you delete any data in the other cells before performing the merge?
    You're going to *lose* the data anyway!

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Turning off merge message

    Just remembered ... there's a way to merge and *not* lose the data ... so
    .... makes the warning unnecessary ... so ... XL doesn't display it!

    *COPY* the merge format to a range, and the data in the adjoining cells is
    not lost.
    When you choose to un-merge the range, the data comes right back.

    Merge an out-of-the-way range of cells, identical in configuration to the
    range containing data, then copy that merged range to the cells in question,
    using either the format painter, OR, "Paste Special - Formats".

    This will give you the properties of the cell merge, *without* the loss of
    data ... and of course ... without any warning messages.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    "RagDyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > One approach to resolve your request is to *avoid* what the message is
    > warning about, therefore XL doesn't need to display it.
    >
    > If *only* the top left cell of the merge range contains data, you won't

    get
    > the warning message.
    > Can't you delete any data in the other cells before performing the merge?
    > You're going to *lose* the data anyway!
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > RD

    -

    -

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Turning off merge message

    That is not documented by Microsoft and you would be using it at your own risk,
    specifically contrary to documentation on addressing merged cells, and if you
    unmerge and then merge again the extraneous data will be lost.
    Consider it an anomaly not as something to actually use.

  5. #5
    David P.
    Guest

    Re: Turning off merge message

    Why wouldn't there just be something you can click in the options file to
    "Merge cells automatically without warning" kind of thing? That's probably a
    frustrating question that you probably wouldn't want to respond to...Thanks.
    --
    David P.

  6. #6
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: Turning off merge message

    Was simply addressing a procedure to avoid the warning message David, and
    stating the reason for it's absence, *not* advocating its use to not lose
    data when merging.

    Although, you're correct in stating that caveat, which I should have
    probably included.

    RD

    news:%[email protected]...