Search for Square Characters

  1. #1
    BCBC
    Guest

    Search for Square Characters

    Someone has asked me to go through a very large Excel document and remove all
    of the square characters. I don't know how they got there, but they are Arial
    font and they appear at the end of some sentences after periods. Sometimes
    there is one, sometimes there are two. Is there some way I can do this more
    quickly? Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Search for Square Characters

    Use the CLEAN function. Insert a column next to the column
    containing the square characters (these are unprintable
    characters, probably line breaks), and enter =CLEAN(A1) where A1
    is the first cell with the unprintable characters. Copy this
    formula down as far as you need to go. Then copy these cells, and
    Paste Special Values back on top of the original data.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: Search for Square Characters

    Try this:
    Edit one of the cells
    Select only the square character
    Hold down the [Ctrl] key and press C (that will copy the character)
    Press [ESC] (to stop editing the cell)

    Select any single cell
    Edit>Replace
    Find what: (Hold down the [Ctrl] key and press V here to paste the character)
    Replace with: (leave this blank)
    Click the [Replace All] button

    That should replace all of that type of character with nothing.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Search for Square Characters

    BCBC

    These are most likely line-feeds commonly known as carriage returns.

    Do they disappear when you enable wrap-text?

    If so................

    Try Edit>Replace

    what: ALT + 0010(on the numpad)

    With: nothing or space

    ALT + 0010 is achieved by holding the ALT key and typing 0010 on the numpad
    which is located at right side of keyboard.

    If no joy, try 0013

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Search for Square Characters

    If this is a common task you might use a little macro

    Sub CleanSquares()
    Selection.Replace What:=Chr(10), _
    Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, _
    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
    End Sub

    press alt + F11, click insert module and paste the above, press alt + Q to
    close the VBE, now select the range and press alt + F8 to run the macro

    This will replace it with a blank (not a space) so if you want a space you
    can change Replacement:="" to Replacement:=" " and if it doesn't work you
    can try to change Chr(10) to Chr(13)

    for info on how to install macros see

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/install.htm

    Peo Sjoblom

  6. #6

    Re: Search for Square Characters

    One of the things that shows up as a square is the alt-enter (alt-0010). This
    is used to force a new line within the cell.

    If you have format|cells|alignment tab|wrap text unchecked, you may want to
    check it to see if the text lines up nicer.

    If it doesn't help (or it's already checked), then it's not the alt-enter.

    Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that will help determine what that
    character(s) is:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

    It may help with the code that Peo posted.

  7. #7
    Michael J. Strickland
    Guest

    Re: Search for Square Characters

    > BCBC wrote:
    >>
    >> Someone has asked me to go through a very large Excel document and remove
    >> all
    >> of the square characters. I don't know how they got there, but they are
    >> Arial
    >> font and they appear at the end of some sentences after periods.
    >> Sometimes
    >> there is one, sometimes there are two. Is there some way I can do this
    >> more
    >> quickly? Any help is appreciated.

    > --
    >
    > Dave Peterson

    Try making a new column to the right of each existing column and use the
    Substitute function to replace Char(10) with spaces (or whatever you want to
    use.

    Example: For column A, insert a column to the right of it and put:

    SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(10)," ")

    Then use Copy & Paste Special to copy the values of column B into column A.

    Michael J. Strickland
    Quality Services [email protected]