Excel backups

  1. #1
    Allore
    Guest

    Excel backups

    I would like to know how to make a backup disk or CD for my spreadsheet. I
    cannot use my computer as my spreadsheets are listed only in my Excel
    program. I have even used to Search function and it does not locate my
    spreadsheet for me. What am I doing wrong. Any help for me?

    Thanks
    --
    Allore

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Excel backups

    Sounds to me like you need a tutorial like this one:
    http://www.duke.edu/~dhewitt/tutoria...er/explor.html

    ************
    Hope it helps!
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: Excel backups

    Open one of your workbooks in excel.

    Type this in an empty cell:

    =cell("Filename",a1)

    And you'll see where the files are stored.

    You can also find the location via:
    file|properties|General tab

  4. #4
    Allore
    Guest

    Re: Excel backups

    Thanks for the help. I will try it now. Thanks, Allore
    --
    Allore

  5. #5
    Allore
    Guest

    Re: Excel backups

    Dave, Thanks for the help. I will give it a try now.
    --
    Allore

  6. #6
    Allore
    Guest

    Re: Excel backups

    Dave: I tried the formula you suggested and the word VALUE showed up in the
    cell. Would you have any idea what I did wrong.
    --
    Allore

  7. #7

    Re: Excel backups

    I'd guess you made a typo.

    Did you open an existing workbook?

  8. #8
    Allore
    Guest

    Re: Excel backups

    Dave, I would have thought so too, but I have tried several times. Could it
    be that I have Excel 3. It always comes out as #VALUE. Thanks for trying to
    help me. Must be a hopeless case.

    --
    Allore

  9. #9

    Re: Excel backups

    Excel 3????

    From John Walkenbach's site:
    http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm

    That looks like it was released in 1990.

    Is that what you meant?

    If it is, then I don't have a guess. I don't think I've ever seen that version.

    If you meant xl2003, then that formula should work.

    And just to make sure, don't change that formula.
    =cell("Filename",a1)

    Just type it in (or copy|paste from this message) to see what happens.

  10. #10
    Allore
    Guest

    Re: Excel backups

    Dave:
    Thanks for sticking with me, To show you what a novice I am I was writing
    the file name of what I was looking for, not "Filename"
    It worked and you taught me something I did not know. Appreciate it.
    --
    Allore

  11. #11

    Re: Excel backups

    Glad you got it working.

  12. #12
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Excel backups

    Hi Alice,
    Even if you are satisfied you can identify all of your Excel files, there
    are still other files that you should backup.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
    ---
    HTH,