Converting a custom date to readable text

  1. #1
    Crossed eyes
    Guest

    Converting a custom date to readable text

    I am currently working with a large spreadsheet that must be formatted as
    "text" or "general" in its entirety, but birthdates that were submitted for
    inclusion in the sheet are formatted as custom dates (yyyymmdd). Is there
    any way to change the format for a column back into text without having the
    dates appear as the serial value? (For instance, 19870917 appears as 32037
    when the column format is changed to text or general.)

    Please be kind in your responses...I don't have a great grasp on the
    techno-language!

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Converting a custom date to readable text

    You can use a help column and a formula to get it to text

    =TEXT(A1,"yyyymmdd")

    copy down and then copy and paste special over the old dates

    finally delete the help column, however I would personally use another date
    format like

    =TEXT(C1,"yyyy-mm-dd")

    or

    =TEXT(C1,"dd-mm-yyyy")

    or

    =TEXT(C1,"mm/dd/yyyy")

    depending on the region

    Peo Sjoblom

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    You could convert the custom format to Text first and then paste it in the column. Insert a column next to the list of custom dates. In the column to the right enter in:

    =TEXT(A1,"yyyymmdd")

    This will return the date in A1.

    Drag this down your list, copy and paste Special Values over the custom dates. Delete the row where you did your conversion.

    Cheers,

    Steve