Data labels

  1. #1
    Connie Martin
    Guest

    Data labels

    Excel 2000: The data labels are showing with a white background on a gray
    plot area. I have formatted the data label background to the same colour of
    gray but it remains white when I print the chart. I'm obviously doing
    something wrong. Any suggesions? Connie

  2. #2
    Connie Martin
    Guest

    RE: Data labels

    Oops! Should've posted this in Excel Charts. I will do so now.

  3. #3
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Data labels

    Turn off B&W option in File, Page Setup, Sheets -- if it is on.

    ---
    HTH,

  4. #4
    Connie Martin
    Guest

    Re: Data labels

    It is off. I even selected "none" for colour instead of gray, as someone
    suggested. It shows gray on the screen, but in print preview the data labels
    are with a white background and they print white.

  5. #5
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Data labels

    Hi Connie,
    See if this helps

    XL2000: Unexpected Font or Color Formatting Applied to Chart
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211677

  6. #6
    Connie Martin
    Guest

    Re: Data labels

    That does not appear to help either. What I discovered is that if I send
    this chart to print on the colour printer, the labels do not have a white
    background, but if I send the chart to print on the non-colour printer (HP
    6L) it has white background. So, since I have the option, I will print them
    in colour and be done with it. They don't really need to be in colour
    because there are only two colours involved and are easily distinguishable in
    black/white/gray tones. However, I will stick to colour. There must be a
    problem with the printer. Thank you for your input.

  7. #7
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Data labels

    I'm not familiar with specific printers, but good that you included that in case anyone wants that information.
    Possibly Gray needs color unless you have only black in the printer.
    I'd also check the printer options for the specific printers..