What function to select the last 3 small values from a list ?

  1. #1
    Eric
    Guest

    What function to select the last 3 small values from a list ?

    Does anyone know how to select the last 3 small values from a list? such as
    a list {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
    then reture the last 3 small value {1,2,3}
    Thank you for any suggestion
    Eric

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: What function to select the last 3 small values from a list ?

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:31:03 -0800, "Eric" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know how to select the last 3 small values from a list? such as
    >a list {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
    >then reture the last 3 small value {1,2,3}
    >Thank you for any suggestion
    >Eric

    The SMALL worksheet function will do that.

    The specifics depend on the nature of your list and the result specifications.

    --ron

  3. #3
    Jacob_F_Roecker
    Guest

    RE: What function to select the last 3 small values from a list ?

    This assumes that your values are in A1-A9

    =SMALL(A1:A9,1)
    =SMALL(A1:A9,2)
    =SMALL(A1:A9,3)

    Each one of these sells will return a 'smallest' value. You'll have the
    smallest, 2nd smallest, and third smallest

    There's some good help understanding this function in the help file.

    Good Luck

  4. #4
    Eric
    Guest

    RE: What function to select the last 3 small values from a list ?

    Does it have a single function to perform the similar task?
    Given Lists {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
    Given number {2,3,7}
    Condition: If any given number equals to any last 3 small integers, such as
    {1,2,3} in this case, then TRUE.
    2 is TRUE
    3 is TRUE
    7 is FALSE
    Does anyone have any idea?
    Thank you
    Eric

  5. #5
    R.VENKATARAMAN
    Guest

    Re: What function to select the last 3 small values from a list ?

    may not be elegant solution but serves the purpose

    suppose a11,a12,a13 are 2,3,7,
    the list 1 to 7 are in A2 to A8

    in B11 type
    =IF(OR(A11=SMALL($A$2:$A$8,1),A11=SMALL($A$2:$A$8,2),A11=SMALL($A$2:$A$8,3))
    ,TRUE,FALSE)
    copy B11 down to b12 and B13

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Wink This might help u

    Re: What function to select the last 3 small values from a list ?

    A1:A9 is the range from where u want to select

    =+IF(COUNT(A1:A9)=COUNT(A1:A9),CONCATENATE(SMALL(A1:A9,1),",",SMALL(A1:A9,2),",",SMALL(A1:A9,3)),0)
    Last edited by juleeus; 12-31-2005 at 07:47 AM.

  7. #7
    Eric
    Guest

    Re: What function to select the last 3 small values from a list ?

    Thank you for your reply, it works for limited conditions, but if there are
    many conditions involved, the code will be very lengthy, and there is a
    length limitation for conditional formating, which I am working on.
    Thank you for your suggestion
    Eric :>

  8. #8
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: What function to select the last 3 small values from a list ?

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 23:56:02 -0800, "Eric" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Does it have a single function to perform the similar task?
    >Given Lists {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
    >Given number {2,3,7}
    >Condition: If any given number equals to any last 3 small integers, such as
    >{1,2,3} in this case, then TRUE.
    >2 is TRUE
    >3 is TRUE
    >7 is FALSE
    >Does anyone have any idea?
    >Thank you
    >Eric

    list = the range where your numbers 1..9 are listed.

    Your test number is in A14.

    The following formula will do what you specify:

    =SUMPRODUCT(-(SMALL(list,{1,2,3})=A14))<0

    --ron