Work around Conditional Formatting

  1. #1
    Andy Chan
    Guest

    Work around Conditional Formatting

    Dear all,

    There are 2 worksheets (Sheet1, Sheet2) containing similar data in my
    workbook. I want to underline the text in a cell in Sheet2 if the text in
    that cell is the same as the cell in the same place in Sheet1. (For example,
    if Sheet1!A1 = Sheet2!A1, then Sheet2!A1 is underlined.) Can I write a
    user-defined function to check whether the contents in two cells are equal?
    Thanks in advance.

    Best Regards,
    Andy

  2. #2
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Work around Conditional Formatting

    Chips has lots of stuff on duplicates, see www.cpearson.com

    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bernard Liengme
    Guest

    Re: Work around Conditional Formatting

    Oops - his name is Chip (singular)!
    Goodbye Mr Chips!
    --
    Bernard V Liengme
    www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Work around Conditional Formatting

    Hi Andy,
    Please include the complete question in the text body, one should
    not be expected to look at the subject to understand the question
    once the question is actually being viewed.

    Conditional Formatting unfortunately cannot refer to another sheet,
    but you can use a defined name for a reference and use that.
    Select Cell A1 on Sheet2 then place sht2 into the name box.
    as a shortcut to using Insert, Name, Define, ...

    Then select the area of interest on Sheet1 with cell A1 as the active cell.
    Format, Conditional Formatting,
    Condition 1 Formula is: =A1=OFFSET(sht2,ROW()-1,COLUMN()-1)

    You might want to use a pattern color instead of using Font, underscore
    to try to underscore a empty cell.

    ---
    HTH,