Use the same name on multiple sheets in same workbook

  1. #1
    Reds
    Guest

    Use the same name on multiple sheets in same workbook

    I am new to Excel 2002. In prior versions I could create sheet specific
    names easily. With Excel 2002 every time I try to re use a name on another
    sheet (same workbook) the name gets moved to the new sheet. I use several
    workbooks (one book for sales, one for cost of goods, etc), with 12 sheets
    named for each month of the year. Each sheet is a duplicate of the first.
    As the year progresses I fill in the data at the end of each month. In the
    past I used the same names(Gross.Sales for example) on each sheet in the
    workbook. I then can build monthly summary reports using these names. I
    cannot get it to work in Excel 2002. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for your help

  2. #2

    Re: Use the same name on multiple sheets in same workbook

    I think you forgot to include the sheetname in the names in workbook box (in the
    Insert|Name|Define dialog):

    Sheet1!gross.sales
    or
    'sheet 1'!gross.sales

    This behavior didn't change with xl2002--it was the same way in xl2k and xl97
    and ....

  3. #3
    Reds
    Guest

    Re: Use the same name on multiple sheets in same workbook

    I did include the sheetname and it changed the name to the new sheet but
    removed it from the previous sheet. It's acting like this feature is
    disabled somehow.

  4. #4

    Re: Use the same name on multiple sheets in same workbook

    I've never seen adding a sheet level name destroy a different sheet level name
    (or destroy a workbook level name).

    But working with names can be confusing.

    You may want to try Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew
    Henson) Name Manager:

    You can find it at:
    NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

    It'll make working with names much, much easier.