Changing a word document into an excel spreadsheet

  1. #1
    aganchingco
    Guest

    Changing a word document into an excel spreadsheet

    The database that I am working from sends me a report as a word document. I
    would prefer that this information be presented in excel, that way it is
    easier to manipulate the report. There is no option for me to choose between
    word or excel. I would just like to know how I can transfer data on a word
    document to an excel spreadsheet?

  2. #2
    Forum Contributor
    If each record of your WORD Document occupies just 1 line with a paragraph return at the end of each line and you have a "fixed" length for each field then you can copy and paste directly into EXCEL and then "split the text into the applicable number of fields in EXCEL. To see if your "text" lines up into equally spaced fields - apply the COURIER font. Select your report and then paste it into Column A. Once the report is in Excel. Select the column usually column A - then select DATA - Text To Columns and follow the instruction on the popup menu to split the text into individual columns. If you can have your database generate a report as "CSV" or "TABBED" records, then you can import directly into EXCEL.
    If your database generates a report as a WORD table - then copy and paste the table directly into EXCEL. But for the information to lineup correctly you need to remove all of the following: Any paragraph marks, tab marks and manual line breaks and replace them with a single space. To do this - in WORD select find and replace - select the MORE button - then select Special and then in the select paragraph marks, tab marks and manual line breaks (one at a time) and then in the replace box - just hit the space bar 1 time and the above items will be replaced. For anymore information about the conversion - I would need to see what the report looks like.

  3. #3
    aganchingco
    Guest

    Re: Changing a word document into an excel spreadsheet

    Thank you for the information it really helped. One more thing is there a way
    for me to split the cells all at once instead of having to do it on cell at a
    time?

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    After you paste the info into EXCEL, Select ALL of Column A or whatever Column you pasted the text into (do not select Cell A1 and DRAG down) and select DATA - then Text To Columns you can manaully split (i.e. Column A) into as many pieces as you want - just keep scrolling to the right and placeing the "tabs" (ie division points) where ever you want. Single click to "place a "cell break"" double click to remove it.
    If this doesn't answer your question - then let me know.