Autocomplete not working

  1. #1
    SantistaS
    Guest

    Autocomplete not working

    Hi,

    Although Autocomplete is checked in Excel "Options", it is not working.
    If I have written 'abcxyz' in a column, and I write the letters 'ab' or even
    'abc', in the same column, Excel doesn't suggest the word 'abcxyz'.

    I'm using Excel 2003 SP2.

    SantistaS

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Autocomplete not working

    Have you run through the suggestions in Help ("Microsoft Excel doesn't
    always display the AutoComplete list" topic).

    From what you posted, I'd guess that you're trying to autocomplete
    outside the current data region.

  3. #3
    SantistaS
    Guest

    Re: Autocomplete not working

    Sorry, McGimpsey,

    I didn't find the topic you suggested ("Microsoft Excel doesn't always
    display the AutoComplete list").
    I'm using Excel in English

    The data I have in the worksheet were pasted in column A and B.
    The repeated words I'm typing are in column C or D.
    When I type these words in column A or B, Autocomplete works fine, but not
    when I type them in column C or D.

    So, I think you guess right: I'm trying to autocomplete outside the current
    data region.

    My question is, how can I extend the data region also to columns C and D?

    Thank you very much.

    SantistaS

  4. #4
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: Autocomplete not working

    You can't - Autocomplete only presents items in the same column as the
    active cell.

    From the Help article I cited (XL04):

  5. #5
    SantistaS
    Guest

    Re: Autocomplete not working

    Sorry, McGimpsey, I didn't explain it clearly:

    If I type in column A a word which already exists in that column, Excel
    does autocomplete that cell.

    But, if I type in column C a word which already exists in column C,
    autocomplete doesn't work in column C.

    So, you said you guess I'm trying to autocomplete outside the current data
    region.

    I don't undersand your suggestion and I ask how can I extend the data
    region also to column C, in order the autocomplete works for words in that
    column?

    I would thank you very much if you can help me,

    SantistaS

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re: Autocomplete not working

    Try typing that word in a cell that's closer to the existing cell with that word
    in it.

    If you're too far away, then excel may not use that other list.

    Debra Dalgleish posted these links:

    This MSKB article has information on AutoComplete in Excel 97:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=177423

    and for Excel 2000:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=212069

  7. #7
    SantistaS
    Guest

    Re: Autocomplete not working

    Thanks Dave,

    That article says that if I'm more than 50 rows away from the last
    occurrence of a word, I have to type "more than just the first character" of
    that word, for the entry to be completed automatically.

    Now I see that in Excel 2003 SP2 this bug is even worst: in some
    circumstances, autocomplete doesn't work at all if type 2 or 3 rows away of
    the last occurrence of that word! (Obviously, I'm typing in the same column
    which already has that word)

    SantistaS

  8. #8

    Re: Autocomplete not working

    Maybe you can share the words you're using and what cells have stuff in them.

    I'm not sure it will help you, but maybe someone can verify that it's a problem
    or explain why it doesn't work.

  9. #9
    SantistaS
    Guest

    Re: Autocomplete not working

    Hi ,

    Can I attach the Excel archive and post the message to this News List?

  10. #10

    Re: Autocomplete not working

    This is a text only newsgroup. I think posting in plain text would be better.

    (But I don't want to get your hopes up. If that's the way excel behaves, that's
    usually the answer.)