What does ####### mean in an Excel cell? The cell contains text.

  1. #1
    PaulS
    Guest

    What does ####### mean in an Excel cell? The cell contains text.

    In an Excel spreadsheet cell I have text but cannot see it. Instead
    ######### are displayed. I have tried dragging the right side of cell and
    wrapping the text to see it but to no avail.

  2. #2
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: What does ####### mean in an Excel cell? The cell contains text.

    Maybe a *negative* time value.

    A1 = 9:00
    B1 = 8:00
    C1 = ( =B1-A1) would duplicate your problem.
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    PaulS
    Guest

    Re: What does ####### mean in an Excel cell? The cell contains te

    Nope. no time value used in the cell, just text.

    Anyone who would like me to email them the file itself - just give me your
    email address.

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: What does ####### mean in an Excel cell? The cell contains te

    Then you're experiencing the "text' bug!

    Format the cell(s) to "General".

    There seems to be a quirk (bug), where in a Text formatted cell of more then
    approximately 256 characters, you'll get the ###'s.

    Stranger yet, if you keep typing, the true text *returns* when the character
    count exceeds 1024.

    General format should work for the "in-between" character count.

  5. #5
    JoAnn Paules [MVP]
    Guest

    Re: What does ####### mean in an Excel cell? The cell contains text.

    The only time I've ever seen that is when there's a cell containing a
    formula isn't wide enough to display the value. For grins and giggles, I'll
    look at it. Send it to this address.

    --

    JoAnn Paules
    MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

  6. #6
    PaulS
    Guest

    Re: What does ####### mean in an Excel cell? The cell contains te

    You nailed it! That's the problem. Is there a downloadable fix for it?

  7. #7

    Re: What does ####### mean in an Excel cell? The cell contains te

    Nope. The fix is to format that cell as general.