Tab in a cell

  1. #1

    Tab in a cell

    Hey all! You know how in excel if you tab, you go to the next cell to the right? How can I tab in a cell, to make an indent? I also have a weird problem with this particular cell (maybe it is due to me spacing instead of tabbing...) In a cell, I have 3 paragraphs of written information. The last three lines however just keep going to the right, instead of wrapping, like I have this cell formatted to do. Any thoughts on how to resolve either of these problems?

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Tab in a cell

    Hi Roz

    Take a look at
    Format>Cells>Alignment>Indent

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    Roz <[email protected]> wrote

  3. #3
    Thanks, that does indent, but it indents the whole thing. I just want the first sentance of the paragraph indented...I'll try to keep playing with it.

  4. #4

    Re: Tab in a cell

    Tabbing within the cell isn't really supported in excel.

    You could use:
    =a1&char(9)&b1
    (=Char(9) is the tab character)

    But it won't work like you want. Instead, you'll see a little square.

    If you add some alt-enters (=char(10)) every 80-100 characters, then I bet the
    value in that cell starts looking better.

  5. #5

    Re: Tab in a cell

    ps. That alt-enter stuff forces a new line within the cell.

  6. #6
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Tab in a cell

    > Thanks, that does indent, but it indents the whole thing. I just want
    > the first sentence of the paragraph indented...I'll try to keep playing
    > with it.

    One way is to use several spaces (rather than a tab character). It's not
    elegant, but maybe it suits your need.