Performance in excel 97 is poor

  1. #1

    Unhappy Performance in excel 97 is poor

    I have many pc's in my plant that use office 97 still (most used application is excel 97) - most of the pc's are on OS 2k or better - when opening excel 97 it takes forever on many (locally installed also) - once it does open the performance is bad - scrolling and moving is almost impossible - is there a fix for the pc's - at least until I can get the $$ to upgrade office

    These are typical installs no addins etc... - as generic as they can be

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Bill Martin
    Guest

    Re: Performance in excel 97 is poor

    cctd wrote:
    > I have many pc's in my plant that use office 97 still (most used
    > application is excel 97) - most of the pc's are on OS 2k or better -
    > when opening excel 97 it takes forever on many (locally installed also)
    > - once it does open the performance is bad - scrolling and moving is
    > almost impossible - is there a fix for the pc's - at least until I can
    > get the $$ to upgrade office
    >
    > These are typical installs no addins etc... - as generic as they can
    > be
    >
    > Thanks

    -------------------

    Have you tried uninstalling Office, rebooting and reinstalling it on one of the
    machines as an experiment? If you do that and it dramatically speeds up, then
    one might suspect there is indeed some linked file that's slowing things down
    and more effort in that direction might be productive. If reinstalling does not
    help, then that might say something about the basic machine and OS setup or
    virus scans needs more focus.

    What I'm suggesting is that reinstalling on one machine might simply be a useful
    diagnostic, not an end solution. And I wouldn't presume that upgrading Office
    would solve the problem anyhow since something is apparently broken, not just old.

    Good luck...

    Bill