Turn off automatic date format

  1. #1

    Turn off automatic date format

    I searched the site but did not find an aswer to my question. I am copying data from a web site that look like this:

    27-40
    25-40
    8-57
    12-53

    I want the data to remain as it is shown above but when I paste into Excel, I get the following:

    27-40
    25-40
    Aug-57
    Dec-53

    It appears if the text does not look like a valid date excel leaves it alone. But if it looks like a possible date, it formats it into a date format. How do I paste this data and prevent Excel from converting it into a date format?

    Thanks, Jim

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Turn off automatic date format

    Format the cell as Text prior to the pasting.
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    That doesn't seem to work. I have tried formatting cells as text before pasting and after pasting and I still get the same results. What am I missing?

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Turn off automatic date format

    Have you tried formatting the cells as text beforehand, then using copy
    with Edit | Paste Special | Values? This should not overwrite the
    formatting you have set up, whereas copy with paste does.

    Hope this helps,

    Pete