Can I build special codes in a speadsheet that calculate>

  1. #1
    wireed!
    Guest

    Can I build special codes in a speadsheet that calculate>

    I want to us 8 V for 8 hours vacation or 8 hours fh for 8 hour floatin holiday.
    I'm sure some one has done it just I can't find it

  2. #2
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Can I build special codes in a speadsheet that calculate>

    If you just want to give a value to a string (8V - 8FH), you can create
    what's called a "named formula".

    There are however, some reservations on exactly what strings (names) are
    acceptable to XL.

    These worked for me:
    VAC8
    FLH8

    Start with:
    <Insert> <Name> <Define>,

    In the "Names In Workbook" box, enter
    VAC8
    At the bottom, *change* whatever is in the "RefersTo" box to:
    =8

    Click <Add>

    Again, in the "Names In Workbook" box, enter
    FLH8
    =8 should *still* be displayed in the "RefersTo" box,
    So just hit <OK>.

    Now, if you enter
    =vac8
    OR
    =flh8
    in any cell, you'll get 8.

    So, you can now have formulas such as:
    =A1+vac8
    OR
    =SUM(A1:D1,flh8)
    OR
    =vac8+flh8

    --

    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    wireed!
    Guest

    Re: Can I build special codes in a speadsheet that calculate>

    Created fine, but when I enter the vac8 or flh8, I get enter value between 0
    - 24?

    Imust not be doing something correctly?

  4. #4
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Can I build special codes in a speadsheet that calculate>

    When you enter them where? ... how?

    Where do you see the error message?

    Go to
    <Insert> <Name> <Define>

    Do you see both strings displayed in the big window?

    If so, click on one of them.
    Do you see
    =8
    in the "Refers To" box?

    If so, do the same with the other string.
    Does that also display
    =8
    ?