Formula Meaning

  1. #1
    Bevatron
    Guest

    Formula Meaning

    The following formula, <=Date()-30, produces a query telling me which
    documents in my database have been in my office for review for longer than 30
    days. They are dated in and dated out, and when I date them out they
    disappear from my "Over 30 Day List". I didn't create this particular query
    myself, and I don't know what the () represents. I understand greater than
    and equal to. Since the result is documents OVER 30 days, the -30 is
    puzzling to me as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2

    Re: Formula Meaning

    Are you sure it isn't:

    someexpression <=Today()-30

    =today() is a worksheet function that takes no parms. You don't put anything
    between the ().

    You may see it with =now(), too.

  3. #3
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:51:02 -0800, "Bevatron"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The following formula, <=Date()-30, produces a query telling me which
    >documents in my database have been in my office for review for longer than 30
    >days. They are dated in and dated out, and when I date them out they
    >disappear from my "Over 30 Day List". I didn't create this particular query
    >myself, and I don't know what the () represents. I understand greater than
    >and equal to. Since the result is documents OVER 30 days, the -30 is
    >puzzling to me as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Date() is a function which returns the current date... but not in
    Excel, which is where some confusion may arise.

    If I can over-simplify a bit, a function is generally an expression
    that you feed values into, and which then returns another value which
    is calculated from those inputs. Think of it as a black box into which
    you feed some numbers or text, and some calculated numbers or text are
    returned to you.

    Typically the input arguments contained within the brackets. The most
    common one that people experience is =SUM; =SUM(A6:A8), for example,
    calculates the sum of the cells A6, A7 and A8.

    However there are some functions that you don't need to feed anything
    to. They simply return a value.

    In a database (like Access, say), the function
    =Date()
    returns the current system date. The brackets remain because it's
    still a function, but they don't contain anything because the function
    needs no arguments.

    (Confusion can arise because that's NOT what the Excel =Date()
    function does. The Excel function needs 3 arguments; Year, Month and
    Day. It will then return the date value for the date that you've
    specified, rather than the current date. =Today() does in Excel what
    =Date() does in Access.)

    It helps to realise that dates are stored as numeric values. In Excel,
    for instance, the current date is also the number 38724. Subtract 30
    from that and you get 38694, which Excel can also interpret as
    08-Dec-05.

    So what the expression you're using is saying to the source database
    is, "show me the records where the field value is less than:
    (the current date, minus 30 days)
    ".
    In other words, where that date is more than 30 days ago.

    Hank Scorpio
    scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
    * Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *

  4. #4
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:43:13 -0600, Dave Peterson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Are you sure it isn't:
    >
    >someexpression <=Today()-30

    Dave, I got the impression that Beaverton is doing an external data
    SQL query. Either that, or the post is in the wrong group. 8^>

  5. #5
    Bevatron
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    I copied the expression exactly. So I am mystified.

  6. #6
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 08:04:24 +1100, Hank Scorpio
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:43:13 -0600, Dave Peterson
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Are you sure it isn't:
    >>
    >>someexpression <=Today()-30

    >Dave, I got the impression that Beaverton is doing an external data
    >SQL query. Either that, or the post is in the wrong group. 8^>

    D'OH! I meant "Bevatron" of course.

    I'm putting the blame on my MS Wireless Keyboard, which often sends
    keystrokes that I haven't made. 8^>

  7. #7
    Bevatron
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    It has to be thirty days from the date the document was logged in with a null
    date logged out.

  8. #8
    Bevatron
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    Thank you Hank. I think I begin to see. Your response brought to my
    attention that I am in the Excel discussion and I should be in the Access
    discussion group. No wonder Dave thought I was nuts. I AM. Sorry.

    Bev

  9. #9
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 13:17:02 -0800, "Bevatron"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Thank you Hank. I think I begin to see. Your response brought to my
    >attention that I am in the Excel discussion and I should be in the Access
    >discussion group. No wonder Dave thought I was nuts. I AM. Sorry.
    >
    >Bev

    Fear not Bev, it's far too soon after the xmas/new year break for us
    not to be making mistakes! (Like me mistyping your posting name
    earlier. Sorry about that! 8^> )

  10. #10

    Re: Formula Meaning

    Excellent <bg> response.

    Sometimes new batteries will fix those typos! <vvbg>

  11. #11
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    > In a database (like Access, say), the function
    > =Date()
    > returns the current system date. The brackets remain because it's
    > still a function, but they don't contain anything because the function
    > needs no arguments.

    Yes, but...

    Date() isn't an Access function, it's a VBA function. That means it would be
    recognized within the control of an Access Form or report, within a JetSQL
    query, within VBA code, etc. Note that the last 2 examples are valid in
    either Excel or Access.

    The Excel worksheet function Date(year,month,day) would generally only be
    recognized within a cell in Excel.

    HTH,
    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.

    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Bevatron
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    Thank you for your excellent response and for your patience. You're right -
    the holidays fried what little is left of my brain, so I will digest your
    response tomorrow when I am fresh. Beaverton isn't really so far off since
    Beverly, translated from the old English, means Beaver of the Lea (for better
    or worse). Thanks again.

  13. #13
    BonnieRone
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    Hi, I was reading over all of the entries between you two and I was hoping
    someone could help me. I am in Property Mgmt. and I created a 25 pg.
    workbook in XL. Each pg. holds the same basic info. but is specified to each
    resident. Here is my dilemma.. I want to create a summary sheet (pg.1) that
    will pull the basic info that I ask for throughtout the whole book. Ex: "How
    many move in's from 12-1-05 - 12-31-05" or "How many recertification's are
    there within 90 days of today's date" Of course there much more than that but
    I don't know how to get started. I was told to run a query, but I never
    figured it out. I have been trying 3D referencing, but again, never got it.
    Can you PLEASE help!!!! You will be saving me from insanity! Thanks in
    advance!
    Bonnie
    --
    Bonnie Rone

  14. #14
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:49:22 -0600, "George Nicholson"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> In a database (like Access, say), the function
    >> =Date()
    >> returns the current system date. The brackets remain because it's
    >> still a function, but they don't contain anything because the function
    >> needs no arguments.

    >Yes, but...
    >
    >Date() isn't an Access function, it's a VBA function.

    Uh-huh. I don't actually recall saying that it was "an Access
    function", I said "In a database (like Access, say), the function ...
    returns...".

    A function with the same name, same return and same lack of arguments
    can be found in a couple of more obscure databases as well, including
    one called dBase. Perhaps you've heard of it. Last I checked, it
    didn't support VBA.

    I didn't regard the provenance of the function as being germane to the
    OP's query, especially as I didn't know for certain what the source
    application was. Access just seemed the best guess. Nor was the fact
    that a function can in fact return multiple values, nor were any of
    the multitude of things that I COULD have included about functions and
    values, but didn't.

    Hence the use of the expression "If I can over-simplify a bit...".

    HTH Even More.

  15. #15
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:36:03 -0800, "BonnieRone"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi, I was reading over all of the entries between you two and I was hoping
    >someone could help me. I am in Property Mgmt. and I created a 25 pg.
    >workbook in XL. Each pg. holds the same basic info. but is specified to each
    >resident. Here is my dilemma.. I want to create a summary sheet (pg.1) that
    >will pull the basic info that I ask for throughtout the whole book. Ex: "How
    >many move in's from 12-1-05 - 12-31-05" or "How many recertification's are
    >there within 90 days of today's date" Of course there much more than that but
    >I don't know how to get started. I was told to run a query, but I never
    >figured it out. I have been trying 3D referencing, but again, never got it.
    >Can you PLEASE help!!!! You will be saving me from insanity! Thanks in
    >advance!
    >Bonnie

    Honestly, I can't think of a good way of doing this which doesn't
    involve rearranging your data. This is the sort of thing far better
    done:
    - in an SQL style database, or
    - with all of the data contained in a contiguous layout which would
    lend itself to pivot tables, or
    - in an OLAP style product.

    Were I to be doing property management I'd definitely invest in
    Access, but of course Access is not the most user friendly application
    for people who don't know about relational databases.

    If you send me your data layout (no need for the data, just the
    layout) I'll see whether there might be an adequate workaround.

  16. #16
    BonnieRone
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    Hi Hank, thank you so much for replying. I have really been struggling with
    this. I will send you a blank format. You will be able to tell on the 1st
    sheet what I am trying to do. Your help is really appreciated. Am I to
    email you at [email protected]? Please excuse my ignorance, but I am
    just not sure if that is correct. I will try sending it there. If that is
    not correct, please feel free to reply or email me @
    [email protected]. I hope I did that right! LOL Thanks Again
    --
    Bonnie Rone

  17. #17
    Hank Scorpio
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:40:07 -0800, "BonnieRone"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Hank, thank you so much for replying. I have really been struggling with
    >this. I will send you a blank format. You will be able to tell on the 1st
    >sheet what I am trying to do. Your help is really appreciated. Am I to
    >email you at [email protected]? Please excuse my ignorance, but I am
    >just not sure if that is correct. I will try sending it there.

    Wellll... it used to be, but I think by putting it in without spam
    protection like that you've just sentenced me to getting spammed to
    death.

    Oh well, I want to dump iPrimus anyway...

  18. #18
    BonnieRone
    Guest

    Re: Formula Meaning

    Hank,
    I am soooo very sorry! I am new to this site and just learning all the
    in's and out's. I do hope that you do not get spammed to death for I will
    nobody else to help me!! LOL I really am sorry. I hate spam as well and I
    think it sucks they can do that.Can I delete that message? I feel
    horrible....You can write my name in there if it will make you feel better!
    Also, I really want to thank you for all of your help with my project. I am
    working on it and so far, it looks great. Thanks Again!
    --
    Bonnie Rone