How make text appear in a cell as a result of a number in another

  1. #1
    Jeff Ellison
    Guest

    How make text appear in a cell as a result of a number in another

    I am creating a database. Every time I enter a certain number (e.g. my
    manufacturer's code) I'd like to be able to make the (manufacturer's) name
    appear in a nominated cell. E.g every time I enter 0123 in one cell, Fred
    Bloggs Ltd appears in an adjacent cell.
    Can excel do this. I haven't a clue about Macros! Thanks1

  2. #2
    David Billigmeier
    Guest

    RE: How make text appear in a cell as a result of a number in another

    Have a look at VLOOKUP() in the help menu, this will achieve what you want.
    Post an example if you would like more in depth help.

    Dave

  3. #3
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How make text appear in a cell as a result of a number in another

    Try this:

    Put a new worksheet in your workbook, then:
    A1: MfgID
    B1: MfgName
    A2: 0123 (or whatever products you have)
    Note: If you want leading zeros...Format these cells as Text
    Format>Cells>Number Tab>Category: Text

    B2: Fred Bloggs Ltd
    Continue filling in the list

    When done...
    Select from A2 through the last item in Col_B
    Insert>Name>Define
    Name in workbook: LU_MfgInfo
    Refers to: (your already selected list)
    Click the [OK] button

    Then, on your input sheet...for a MfgID are in A2...
    B2: =IF(ISBLANK(A2),"",VLOOKUP(A2,LU_MfgInfo,2,0))

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  4. #4
    Jeff Ellison
    Guest

    RE: How make text appear in a cell as a result of a number in anot

    Many Thanks.

    You are a genius!I have not dared to put in anything other than your
    headings, so have used exactly as you wrote. (Like painting with numbers!).
    If I use my own Headings, Supplier Number, Supplier Name, what would I have
    to do with the formula?

    I know this must seem so thick, but better honest than ignorant!

    Thanks Again

  5. #5
    Jeff Ellison
    Guest

    RE: How make text appear in a cell as a result of a number in anot

    Wow! Thanks for your help. They don't have a section "Idiot's guide" do they?

  6. #6

    Re: How make text appear in a cell as a result of a number in anot

    Maybe...

    http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html
    From Debra Dalgleish's site.

  7. #7
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: How make text appear in a cell as a result of a number in anot

    > If I use my own Headings, Supplier Number, Supplier Name, what would I have
    > to do with the formula?

    Use any headings you like...They aren't used in the solution I posted.

    Best Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro