Serial Dates

  1. #1
    Airfive
    Guest

    Serial Dates

    Hi everyone,

    Recently a co-worker came to me with a work sheet that she had been using to
    track dates that invoices were received. She told me the sheet was working
    fine one day. The next day, when she entered a date, the cell would only
    return the serial date no matter how she formatted the cell. The actual date
    would appear correct in the formula bar, but the cell showed only the serial
    date. We have tried everything I can think of to get the cells to format to
    show the date but have not had any success. I finally solved her delima by
    copying all the data to another new worksheet and using the paste special -
    values only command. I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of such
    an incident and what might have caused it. Thanks.

    Ron

  2. #2
    Ron Rosenfeld
    Guest

    Re: Serial Dates

    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 06:43:02 -0800, "Airfive"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >Recently a co-worker came to me with a work sheet that she had been using to
    >track dates that invoices were received. She told me the sheet was working
    >fine one day. The next day, when she entered a date, the cell would only
    >return the serial date no matter how she formatted the cell. The actual date
    >would appear correct in the formula bar, but the cell showed only the serial
    >date. We have tried everything I can think of to get the cells to format to
    >show the date but have not had any success. I finally solved her delima by
    >copying all the data to another new worksheet and using the paste special -
    >values only command. I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of such
    >an incident and what might have caused it. Thanks.
    >
    >Ron

    What do you mean by "serial date" ??

    --ron

  3. #3
    Airfive
    Guest

    Re: Serial Dates

    Hi Ron,

    By "Serial Date", I mean the number of days since January 1, 1990. If I
    enter today's date in the cell in question, it returns 38724 in the cell.
    The formula bar shows "1/7/06".

    HTH

    Ron

  4. #4

    Re: Serial Dates

    Your coworker may have been looking at the formula view:

    Tools|View|uncheck formulas.

    You can toggle this setting by hitting
    ctrl-`
    (ctrl-backquote (to the left of 1/! on my USA keyboard))

  5. #5
    Airfive
    Guest

    Re: Serial Dates

    Hi Dave,

    You were absolutely correct. Thank you and everyone else on this forum.
    The help I have received here has been invaluable. Thanks again.

    Ron