Problem with chart creation

  1. #1
    daniel chen
    Guest

    Problem with chart creation

    Sheet1 was populated with column arrays in Range("A8:J50").
    I wanted to creat a chart for column array as specified in cells A1, A2, A3
    as rowbegin, rowend,and columnofinterest respectively.
    Soon after the chart was created all the values in Cells(*, *) were lost,
    and the macro ceased to function properly.
    Can you help me?

    Sub Creat_a_chart()
    Dim rowbegin, rowend, columnofinterest As Double

    Cells(1, 1) = 8 ' as given example
    Cells(2, 1) = 20 ' as given example
    Cells(3, 1) = 3 ' as given example
    rowbegin = Cells(1, 1)
    rowend = Cells(2, 1)
    columnofinterest = Cells(3, 1)
    Range(Cells(rowbegin, columnofinterest), _
    Cells(rowend, columnofinterest)).Select
    Charts.Add
    ' From this point on, all the Cells(*, *) failed _ stating "Method
    'Cells' of object '_Global' failed "

    ActiveChart.ChartType = xlLineMarkers
    On Error Resume Next
    ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=_
    Sheets("Sheet1").Range(Cells(rowbegin, columnofinterest), _
    Cells(rowend, columnofinterest)), PlotBy:=xlColumns
    ActiveChart.Location Where:=xlLocationAsObject, Name:="Sheet1"
    ActiveChart.HasLegend = False
    Cells(1, 2) = Cells(1, 1) ' value lost
    Cells(2, 2) = Cells(2, 1) ' value lost
    Cells(3, 2) = Cells(3, 1) ' value lost
    End Sub

  2. #2
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: Problem with chart creation

    daniel,

    "Charts.Add" creates a new chart sheet, which becomes the active sheet.
    "Cells", with no sheet qualifier, refers to the active sheet.
    There are no cells on a chart sheet.

    '-----------------
    Sub Create_a_chart()
    Dim rowBegin as Long
    Dim rowEnd as Long
    Dim columnOfInterest As Long
    Dim objSheet as Excel.Worksheet

    Set objSheet = ActiveSheet
    objSheet.Cells(1, 1).Value = 8
    'etc
    '--------------------------

    Regards,
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

  3. #3
    daniel chen
    Guest

    Re: Problem with chart creation

    Hi Jim,
    Thanks for the explanation. I have it working.

    news:[email protected]...