trends

  1. #1
    usenet
    Guest

    trends

    how in excel can i tell that

    is growth
    is loss
    and
    is no change

    I want to just display the trend with a up , down or no change arrow
    all the functions like trend etc and stdev show loss and gain as no
    difference

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: trends

    Consider:

    =IF(endpoint-startpoint>0) then gain
    =IF(endpoint-startpoint<0) then lose
    =IF(endpoint-startpoint=0) then no change
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    usenet
    Guest

    Re: trends

    Thanks Gary how ever that wont work in this kind of instance where the trend
    is higher

    and also this one where the trend is clearly lower

    lastly this one where the trend is even

    Any other ideas

    Thanks

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: trends

    Are these meant to be equally-spaced values (eg at some time interval)
    ? In other words, does the row number imply an x-value to these
    y-values? If so, then you could do a least-squares fit to the data and
    derive the best "slope" of the values to indicate whether it is
    increasing, decreasing or level.

    It's been a few years since I last did this, so I can't help you with
    the formulae straightaway, but I hope this helps.

    Pete