#1 Problem

  1. #1

    #1 Problem

    I apologize if this winds up being stupid-simple, but I have not used Excel in quite some time and could not find an answer in tutorials or on the web...

    Is there a way to put a number in a cell, but have Excel calculate it as a different quantity?

    We are tabulating rankings of product: People chose their ten favorite items and then were told them to rank them 1(highest)-10 (lowest). We're assigning quantities to their rankings: #1=15, #2=14, etc. We want to have their original rankings visible, but have the spreadsheet calculate based on the quantities. Is there a way to enter a 1 and have it calculate it as 15?

    Thanks for whatever help you can offer,

    hs

  2. #2
    I just fiddled around and heres what i came up with, all you do is use an if function and make the return_if_false statement a new if statement

    =IF(C17=1, 15, (IF(C17=2, 14, (IF(C17=3, 13, C17)))))

    this is only a simple example assuming 1=14, 2=14, 3=13, and if a nubmer other than 1, two, or 3 are given, then it will return that same number

    put this formula in a cell you aren't using, and then just refer to that cell instead of the one where people input their rankings

  3. #3
    Forum Expert Ron Coderre's Avatar
    Boston, Massachusetts
    MS-Off Ver
    2013, 2016, O365
    Posts
    6,996
    You'll probably get some good guesses at what you want, but I think
    if you tell us how you will be using the re-assigned values...you'll get
    exactly what you want. Will you be adding them up? Multiplying them by some other value? Relating them to other factors?

    Regards,
    Ron

  4. #4
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: #1 Problem

    Say your rankings starting in B1, and continuing down the column, try this
    in C1, and copy down as needed:

    =CHOOSE(B1,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6)

    Then you can simply total the column:

    =Sum(C:C)
    --
    HTH,

    RD

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Coderre
    You'll probably get some good guesses at what you want, but I think
    if you tell us how you will be using the re-assigned values...you'll get
    exactly what you want. Will you be adding them up? Multiplying them by some other value? Relating them to other factors?
    This is the basic set-up: Each row has a product name, each column a user name; there will be more than 100 of each. The re-assigned values will be simply added to a "total score," and data will be sorted according to that value. Another column is simply a COUNT column to note how many uses rated that product. A third column (optional, but I thought it interesting) would be an "Average ranking" based on the original 1-10 rating.

    Thanks much for the responses so far.

  6. #6
    Pete
    Guest

    Re: #1 Problem

    How about:

    =16 - B1,

    where B1 is the ranking?

    If you want to guard against spurious entries in B1, you can have:

    =IF(AND(B1>0,B1<=10,B1=INT(B1)), 16-B1, "Invalid ranking")

    Pete