Custom Toolbars won't work on Company Intranet

  1. #1
    Richard
    Guest

    Custom Toolbars won't work on Company Intranet

    Hi all -

    I have built an application in excel which in its essence is a database of
    bonds that our firm trades. I also built a custom toolbar by which end users
    will be able to filter and search for certain bonds based on thier desired
    criteria.

    The toolbar was built using the "View/Toolbars/Customize - add button"
    method. I then attached the toolbar to the spreadsheet and saved it. The
    toolbar works perfectly on my machine, and it usually works well on any
    machine that I email the spreadsheet to. However, when we load the
    spreadsheet to the intranet, it initially worked intermittently, sometimes
    filtering and sometimes not, and then it just quit. We now get a message
    saying the spreadsheet cannot be found.

    We have a similar application that we run the same way, which works with no
    problems. I noticed that if I go into "assign macros" on the application that
    works the macros start with "C:\\..." meaning somehow the macros are housed
    on each machine accross the firm. On my application the the macros show
    "S:\\..." I am wondering if this is the problem - any help with this would
    be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

  2. #2

    Re: Custom Toolbars won't work on Company Intranet

    Your life will be much simpler if you create the toolbar (or menu items) when
    you open your addin.

    Then you won't have to worry about what macro in what workbook is assigned to
    each button/item.

    If you want to add an option to the worksheet menu bar, I really like the way
    John Walkenbach does it in his menumaker workbook:

    Here's how I do it when I want a toolbar:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlToolbar02.html
    (from Debra Dalgleish's site)