Order of calculation

  1. #1
    RW
    Guest

    Order of calculation

    Does anyone know the criteria Excel uses to determine what order to calulate
    cells in?

    I have several workbooks which contain user-defined functions (contained in
    an add-in) as formulas and can put a break-point in the add-in to see the
    order in which the cells are calculated. These functions are only called when
    Excel calculates the cell in which one appears and none of them depend on the
    calculation of other cells.

    However, the order of calulation Excel uses differs from workbook to workbook.

    In one, it starts in the cell in the right-most column and the bottom-most
    row and goes up the column to the top, then starts in the bottom-most cell of
    the next column to the left.

    In another, it starts in the cell in the top row of the right-most column
    and goes along the row to the left and then when it has done the whole row,
    drops down a row and starts again in the right-most cell.

    I am trying make the user-defined function code more efficient and to know
    what order Excel will calculate in would be immensely helpful.

    Thanks,
    Rosemary

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Order of calculation

    Hi Rosemary,

    Maybe this is of help:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...c_xlrecalc.asp

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RW
    Guest

    Re: Order of calculation

    Niek, thanks very much. The article explains a lot.
    Rosemary

  4. #4
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: Order of calculation

    You're welcome. If you are interested in Excel's calculation secrets, you
    really should visit

    www.decisionmodels.com

    by Charles Williams