ActiveX Controls vs Form Controls

  1. #1
    Alex
    Guest

    ActiveX Controls vs Form Controls

    Excel helper(s)

    I am reading a book on VBA and am confused over a point the author is trying
    to make over controls.

    With Form controls one can write a simple Sub procedure and assign it to the
    button no problem. This I understand.

    For ActiveX controls the author states...'If you try to create an event
    procedure for an ActiveX control before the control exists, and you try to
    reference that in your code, you will get compiler errors, so you have to
    create the event procedure programmaticaly'.

    What does this mean exactly?

    If I place an ActiveX button on the worksheet and double-click then I can
    add my code in the class module that will be of the type:

    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click( )

    There is no problem with this as I see it. Is the author's point that if you
    add an ActiveX control using VBA then you must write the event procedure in
    the VBA code too? In other words, you can't write an event procedure first
    and then create the ActiveX control laterbecause they won't reference each
    other?

    The author does offer an example of this method and, whilst I understand the
    VBA code, I don't understand in principle what the key idea is.

    I am hoping that somebody on this list has better insights for this layman.

    Regards

    Alex

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: ActiveX Controls vs Form Controls

    Alex,

    I can't say I know what the author is actually saying, but you do not need
    to create the code programmatically. I do not get a compiler if I create the
    code before the control, and they do reference each other ok, I just tried
    it. I would certainly advise against creating code programmatically as a
    general practice.

    As you have found, if you add an ActiveX control and double-click, the
    template event is created for you, all you have to do is to fill in the
    action code. This is the way I always do it.

    I suggest you carry on with what works for me, and for you.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...