File Size Limits

  1. #1
    JohnB
    Guest

    File Size Limits

    I'm sure this question has been asked a million times...

    What are the "file size" limits for different versions of Excel?

    In particular I'm interested in what it is for 2000.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: File Size Limits

    Hi John

    If you mean size of sheet it is currently 256 columns x 65536 rows.
    This will rise substantially when Excel 12 ships later this year 16,000
    columns x 1 million rows.

    as far as File size is concerned, then that's going to be some
    limitation in terms of disk size and RAM.

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: File Size Limits

    John

    There is no "file size" limit other than...........

    From Excel Help on "specifications"

    Limited by available memory and system resources.

    This restriction/limit spans all versions of Excel.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

  4. #4
    JohnB
    Guest

    Re: File Size Limits

    The spreadsheet in question is a 66mb file. If I open it on 2 different
    computer, both with 512mb of RAM, it will open on the one that has 2003 but
    won't open on the computer that has 2000. Or any computer that has 2000,
    for that matter.

    So it "appears" that there is a difference between versions.