apostrophe

  1. #1
    Steve
    Guest

    apostrophe

    Hi all, I just received an excel workbook where all the numbers have
    been typed with an apostrophe ' in front of them, therefore no
    formulas work, i.e., the worksheet does not view them as numbers.
    Going in to each cell and removing the apostrophe works, but the table
    is way to big to do that for every cell. I tried find/replace, but it
    doesn't find the apostrophe's. I also tried reformatting the columns,
    copying and using the various forms of "paste special", etc., and have
    yet to find anything that works.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Steve

  2. #2
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: apostrophe

    Hi Steve,

    =A1*1 will revert the text to a number, but may not work in your case if you
    can't enter and pull down to do the conversion.

    Also, if the numbers are over 15 characters the 16th on will be zeros.

    Howard

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: apostrophe

    Steve,

    you can get rid of the apostrophe and convert the number by entering
    the following into a suitable helper column:

    =VALUE(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))

    assuming your data starts in A1. Copy this down the column for as many
    rows as you have data. Then fix all these values using <copy> Edit |
    Paste Special | Values | OK and <esc> or <enter>. You could then
    copy/paste the values in the helper column to overwrite your values in
    column A, then delete the helper column.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  4. #4
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    RE: apostrophe

    This worked in my cursory testing:

    Insert a new sheet in your workbook

    Select a problem sheet
    Select the used-range of that sheet
    Edit>Copy
    Select the new sheet
    Edit>Paste Special>Values
    (That should eliminate the apostrophes)

    Enter a 1 in a blank cell
    Edit>Copy
    Edit>Go To>
    Click the [Special] button
    Check: Constants
    Click the [OK] button
    (That should select all active cells in the sheet)
    Edit>Paste Special>
    Check: Values
    Check: Multiply
    Click the [OK] button

    That should turn all of the text-numbers into numeric values
    (The formulas will still be text, though)

    Edit>Replace
    Find what: =
    Replace with: =
    Click the [Replace All] button

    That will clear up the formula issues.

    As a final clean up...you might be able to select the entire source sheet,
    then Copy/Paste Special>Formats to the new sheet.

    Does that help?

    ***********
    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro

  5. #5
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: apostrophe

    copy a blank cell, paste special both Values and Add onto the "problem"
    range.

  6. #6
    Steve
    Guest

    Re: apostrophe

    Hi all, thanks for the help. Everyone's solutions seem to work. From
    an efficiency point of view, it seems that Bob Ulmas' solution was
    best. Also, I could do this over ALL CELLS (even text), and it had no
    effect on those for which no change was desired/required, so I could
    do this in essentially one step to a whole sheet. Thanks again,
    Steve

  7. #7
    Ragdyer
    Guest

    Re: apostrophe

    This is the easiest way!
    Simply open and close TTC.

    Select the column of cells with the apostrophe, then:

    <Data> <TextToColumns> <Finish>

    And you're done.
    --
    HTH,

  8. #8
    Ron Coderre
    Guest

    Re: apostrophe

    Nice solution, RD. It even handles the case where formulas have a leading
    apostrophe (eg '=SUM(A1:C1) )

    Regards,
    Ron

    XL2002, WinXP-Pro