HELP - File Names are being changed to numbers

  1. #1
    Nik
    Guest

    HELP - File Names are being changed to numbers

    Hi All,
    I'm currently running Microsoft Excell 2003 on Workstations running
    WindowsXP. My network is both Windows 2000 and 2003. Suddenly my file names
    are being changed from the names which were given and are not showing up as
    numbers. Does anyone have any suggestion why this may be so.
    Thanks
    Nik

  2. #2

    Re: HELP - File Names are being changed to numbers

    Did you mean
    "...are NOW showing as numbers."
    instead of
    "...are not showing as numbers."

    If yes, then maybe...

    When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8
    characters--no extension).

    If the save is successful, xl will delete the original (or rename it to its
    backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and if that's successful, xl will
    rename the funny named file to the original's name.

    Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
    software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
    problems.

    Maybe temporarily disabling the antivirus software would be the easier thing to
    test.