Formula

  1. #1
    confused in florida
    Guest

    Formula

    Locatiion Daily Sales MTD Sales
    Question:
    I need to update this spreadsheet daily by changing my daily location
    figures and automatically updating my MTD figures. I keep getting an error
    message that I have created a circular formula. What formula is needed to
    automatically have the values in the MTD column calculate?

  2. #2
    Linc
    Guest

    Re: Formula

    You should probably put your daily figures in separate columns, labeled
    "1" to "31". If your daily figures begin in column C, then your MTD
    formula in, say, B2 is:

    =sum(C2:AG2)

    Otherwise, you'll need to use a macro to add the daily figures to the
    MTD figures.

  3. #3
    confused in florida
    Guest

    Re: Formula

    My locations are in column A, Daily Sales for each location are in column B,
    and MTD sales are in column C. Each day when I update the daily sales for
    each location i have to use the calculator to manually update the MTD sales
    by adding previous day's MTD sales to today's daily sales. I am looking for a
    formula that will update the MTD sales automatically when i enter the daily
    sales into the spreadsheet. Any suggestions?

  4. #4
    Linc
    Guest

    Re: Formula

    You cannot use formulae in the cells to do what you'd like as you will
    create a circular reference. You already know this, of course.

    You could put your daily sales figures into 31 columns in another sheet
    and refer to them from your MTD cells, if you have the columns after C
    populated with other information. (I'm assuming 31 sales days. If your
    sales are on a Monday-through-Friday basis, you won't need as many
    columns.) This has the advantage of enabling you to correct mistakes;
    if you put in sales of, say, 6378 instead of 3678 for a particular day
    you can see that later on and enter the correct value. Doing it the
    way you describe means that the MTD figures cannot be easily
    reconciled, and you have to trust yourself to always enter the correct
    figures. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't ever trust myself to
    do that. We're only human.

    To get the behavior you describe would take some VBA code that
    determines when a number has been entered in a daily sales cell, adds
    that figure to the MTD figure, then deletes the daily figure. With all
    due respect, it's far easier and much more transparent to do all this
    calculating right on the spreadsheet. And, as I stated above, far
    easier to correct errors in data entry.