How do I automatically fill a cell based on another cell in Excel

  1. #1
    SouthCarolina
    Guest

    How do I automatically fill a cell based on another cell in Excel

    I am trying to fill an adjacent cell based on the input in another cell.
    Here are the particulars. I have created a pull down list in one cell. The
    list contains all of the parts that our mechanics order. Now when one of the
    parts are chosen I would like for Excel to populate the next cell over with
    the price of the part automatically. Can this be done?

  2. #2
    pinmaster
    Guest

    RE: How do I automatically fill a cell based on another cell in Excel

    Yes,
    I assume you already have a price for every part in the list somewhere. So
    what you need is a VLOOKUP formula.

    =VLOOKUP(A1,your range, 2,0)
    A1 is the cell with the drop down list
    your range - range where you have your part list in one column and the
    corresponding price in another column.
    2 is the price column, in this case it would be the second column in your
    range.

    HTH
    JG

  3. #3
    Elkar
    Guest

    RE: How do I automatically fill a cell based on another cell in Excel

    Yes, the VLOOKUP function will do this. Look at the examples in the Help
    file. Post back if you need further help.

    HTH,
    Elkar

  4. #4
    SouthCarolina
    Guest

    RE: How do I automatically fill a cell based on another cell in Ex

    Thanks for the help. It worked perfectly.