Help!

  1. #1
    Tcs
    Guest

    Help!

    I'm using Excel 2k on XP, SP1...

    My problem is that I did something to lock (for lack of a better word) a
    particular cell. (No, I didn't do this on purpose.) Now, whenever I click on
    another row, Excel highlights all the rows from (and including) that "locked"
    cell, to the row on which I just clicked. If I click on a row in just another
    column, Excel highlights the range of cells from my "locked" cell to the cell on
    which I just clicked. In other words, Excel always makes sure that the "locked"
    cell creates a 'range' of highlighted cells from where I really am.

    Since I don't know if this is normal, and I don't know what it's called, I don't
    know how to look it up in help to see what it is, and how to turn it off.

    I tried closing my spreadsheet, then opening it again. Doesn't work. Excel
    still remembers my "locked" cell. When I rebooted my PC however, Excel forgot
    about the "locked" cell, and I could continue my work.

    Is this some normal feature of Excel that I've managed to turn on by accident?
    If so, what's it called? And how do I turn it off?

    Thanks in advance,

    Tom

  2. #2
    Jean Ruch
    Guest

    Re: Help!

    "Tcs" <TSmithATEastPointCityDOTorg@> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm using Excel 2k on XP, SP1...
    >
    > My problem is that I did something to lock (for lack of a better

    word) a
    > particular cell. (No, I didn't do this on purpose.) Now, whenever I

    click on
    > another row, Excel highlights all the rows from (and including) that

    "locked"
    > cell, to the row on which I just clicked. If I click on a row in

    just another
    > column, Excel highlights the range of cells from my "locked" cell to

    the cell on
    > which I just clicked. In other words, Excel always makes sure that

    the "locked"
    > cell creates a 'range' of highlighted cells from where I really am.
    >
    > Since I don't know if this is normal, and I don't know what it's

    called, I don't
    > know how to look it up in help to see what it is, and how to turn it

    off.

    > I tried closing my spreadsheet, then opening it again. Doesn't work.

    Excel
    > still remembers my "locked" cell. When I rebooted my PC however,

    Excel forgot
    > about the "locked" cell, and I could continue my work.
    >
    > Is this some normal feature of Excel that I've managed to turn on by

    accident?
    > If so, what's it called? And how do I turn it off?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Tom

    Hi Tom,

    It just looks like you had hit the F8 Key.

    On an empty sheet look what happens when you hit this key when you
    click on differents cells.
    To suppress the effect, hit F8 again.
    This feature allows you to highlight easily complete ranges.

    regards,

    Jean

  3. #3
    pinmaster