automatically numbering rows

  1. #1
    cox ng \(1\)
    Guest

    automatically numbering rows

    I wish to have rows automatically numbered in column "A" according to the
    content in column "B". If column "B" has text or numbers in a cell I do not
    want to number that row in column "A". If column "B" is blank in a cell I
    want to number that row in column "A". I found the following formula that
    works the opposite of what I want "=IF(B1<>"",COUNTA($B$1:B1)&".","")" .
    What would the formula be if I wanted to numerically count the blank cells
    in "B" and skip the context cells in "B"? Thanks for you consideration.
    Regards

  2. #2
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: automatically numbering rows

    Hi

    The formula for A1
    =IF($B1="",ROW()-COUNTIF($B$1:$B1,"<>"),"")
    , and copy it down

    Arvi Laanemets

  3. #3
    galimi