Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

  1. #1
    JR1
    Guest

    Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

    Suddenly, the shading in the selected cell is gone. Now, when selecting a
    group of cells for entry, you can't tell which is the active cell.

    What happened..or more importantly, how do I fix it?

  2. #2
    Brymor
    Guest

    RE: Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

    Hello JR,
    Don't get your hopes up, I'm just supporting your query. I have experienced
    the same thing and am wondering if it's because of one of Microsoft's
    wonderful automatin updates?????
    I'm surprised you have'nt had any response at all yet since your posting of
    17th January! So, let's hope somebody our there, [Microsoft?] can solve this
    very annoying problem for us.
    Kind regards,
    Brymor.

  3. #3
    JR1
    Guest

    RE: Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

    Well, I have discovered something...but it's not an Excel thing. The Display
    settings matter. I have only one color choice for the overall system in order
    for the highlighted cell to appear, and it's ugly. I did upgrade computers at
    year end, so that may be what's behind it. Might not be an Excel problem at
    all.
    Thanks, Brymor...

  4. #4
    Brymor
    Guest

    RE: Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

    OK, Fair Comment....
    But, I still feel that there must be at least a reason, if not a cure for
    this problemt.
    If we're lucky, perhaps a Microsoft expert will see these posts and respond.
    so, let's keep our fingers crossed.
    Just as a matter of interest, what country are you in? I'm in Wales, UK
    Kind regards,
    Brymor.

  5. #5
    Brymor
    Guest

    RE: Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

    Hello JR,
    At last! I've found the answer, [from MrExcel. www.mrexcel.com]. this forum
    is very good indeed.
    The solution is: Right click on Desktop/Properties/Appearance/Advanced, Then
    scroll down "Item" to find "Selected Items" and change the colour. It would
    appear that the original colour went too pale to show up after I changed the
    "Colour Scheme" to Silver. If you visit MrExcel you'll find the topic
    under,"Selected cell highlighting, GONE!"
    Good Luck,
    Rgds,
    Brymor,

  6. #6
    JR1
    Guest

    RE: Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

    Thank you Brymour! I'm going to get right on this. I'm in the US, Chicago
    area. But let's share a Guiness anyway!
    JR

  7. #7
    Brymor
    Guest

    RE: Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

    Ok J.R., glad you got the message. Guinness sounds a good idea, although
    it's an Irish brew, we Welsh are allowed to partake. All Celts together, you
    see!
    Best wishes.
    Brymor

  8. #8
    Starskys Bird
    Guest

    RE: Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

    THANK YOU!!! - had the same problem and thought I must be really thick! now
    sorted.

  9. #9
    Brymor

    "Starskys Bird" wrote:
    THANK YOU!!! - had the same problem and thought I must be really thick! now
    sorted.

    OK SB good to hear I'm of some use to someone!
    Rgds,
    Bryan.

  10. #10
    Waianae, Hawaii
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

    Also check if the worksheet has been protected.

    I saw this problem, then this discussion, then explored to File/Security/Unprotect workbook.

  11. #11
    Lady Lake, FL
    MS-Off Ver

    Re: Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

    Brymor, I love your answer here:
    Attachment 788083
    I am Welsh and used to love hearing my Granddad and his 6 brothers and sisters speak Welsh. I also loved hearing the Welsh Men's Chorus sing and any of my Aunts', Uncles', Grandparents' funerals. Our family grew up in a northern suburb of Chicago. My Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles, etc., & my Dad were from Washington, IA area. My Grandad, John E. Hughes, sang in the Welsh Men's Chorus. He was a tenor. My Dad always wished his Dad would have taught the kids Welsh. Our family used to go to the Welsh Gymanfa Ganus either in Iowa, Wisconsin or Chicago. My Aunt Estelle Roberts lived with her Welsh husband, Roy, and her Welsh Mother in Oak Park, next to Chicago. They all spoke Welsh very good. Estelle Roberts was the organist/pianist for many of the Gymanfa Ganus in the area. I am very proud of being Welsh. I now live in FL and I haven't found much of anything Welsh down here let alone any Gymanfa Ganus. My dream is to go to Wales spending at least a month seeing the beautiful countryside, getting to know the locals, trying to find any living relatives, possibly going to the Urdd Eisteddfod.

    Do you live in Wales? I don't know if you will get this message since I am referring to a message you wrote in 2006. But I thought I would try.

    BTW, I am currently having the problem that this thread is talking about, "Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.". I am using Excel 365 and I am not sure if it is because my version is different than the one your were using, but I can't get to where you are talking about. "...The solution is: Right click on Desktop/Properties/Appearance/Advanced, Then
    > > scroll down "Item" to find "Selected Items" and change the colour."

    I tried both right-clicking on my desktop and on the desktop folder in Windows Explorer. Neither of which could I find "Appearance" in the "Properties". I tried "Advanced" elsewhere but couldn't find "Item" or "Selected Items" anywhere.

    Diolch yn fawr iawn,
    Pat Hughes

  12. #12
    Administrator FDibbins's Avatar
    Duncansville, PA USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 7/10/13/16/365 (PC ver 2310)
    Posts
    52,917

    Re: Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.

    Quote Originally Posted by cricket1001 View Post
    Brymor,....
    BTW, I am currently having the problem that this thread is talking about, "Selected cell highlighting has vanished...no shading now.". I am using Excel 365 and I am not sure if it is because my version is different than the one your were using, but I can't get to where you are talking about. "...The solution is: Right click on Desktop/Properties/Appearance/Advanced, Then
    > > scroll down "Item" to find "Selected Items" and change the colour."

    I tried both right-clicking on my desktop and on the desktop folder in Windows Explorer. Neither of which could I find "Appearance" in the "Properties". I tried "Advanced" elsewhere but couldn't find "Item" or "Selected Items" anywhere.

    Diolch yn fawr iawn,
    Pat Hughes
    Administrative Note:

    We are happy to help, however whilst you feel your request is similar to this thread, experience has shown that things soon get confusing when answers refer to particular cells/ranges/sheets which are unique to your post and not relevant to the original.

    Please see Forum Rule #4 about hijacking and start a new thread for your query.

    If you are not familiar with how to start a new thread see the FAQ: How to start a new thread
    1. Use code tags for VBA. [code] Your Code [/code] (or use the # button)
    2. If your question is resolved, mark it SOLVED using the thread tools
    3. Click on the star if you think someone helped you

    Regards
    Ford