Using Cell Data s Sheet Reference

  1. #1
    StompS
    Guest

    Using Cell Data s Sheet Reference

    I would like to have sheets named after a certain text string in a cell and
    refernce them in formulas

    For example:

    I have a sheet named '123Main' and a sheet named 'Main'
    On the 'Main Sheet' column 'B' is labelled 'Address'
    Cell B5 has text data '123Main'
    I want to be able to reference from Main!C5 a formula as such:

    ="whatever text is in cell Main!B5 is the sheetname to reference a cell on
    that sheet"

    I hope it is clear what I'm trying to do.......thanks.
    --

    StompS
    Portland, OR

  2. #2

    Re: Using Cell Data s Sheet Reference

    =INDIRECT("'"&main!B5&"'!A1")

    Or since the formula is on that Main worksheet
    =INDIRECT("'"&B5&"'!A1")

    will point at A1 of the sheet name in B5 on the Main worksheet.

  3. #3
    StompS
    Guest

    Re: Using Cell Data s Sheet Reference

    Thank you very, very much!!!!!

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    StompS
    Guest

    Re: Using Cell Data s Sheet Reference

    Something's not working.......here's what I have and I'm getting an error

    =INDIRECT("'"&B26&"'!B8) (cell C26 on 'GCP' worksheet)
    '4339 NE Alberta' (cell B26 on 'GCP' worksheet)
    '4339 NE Alberta' (name of worksheet that is referenced
    in the INDIRECT function, cell B8 is the referenced cell)

  5. #5

    Re: Using Cell Data s Sheet Reference

    I think...

    =INDIRECT("'"&B26&"'!B8)
    should be:
    =INDIRECT("'"&B26&"'!B8")

  6. #6
    StompS
    Guest

    Re: Using Cell Data s Sheet Reference

    Just to clarify....

    I am trying to just take the data from cell B8 on the '4339 NE Alberta'
    worksheet and put it into cell C26 on the 'GCP' worksheet. Cell B26 on the
    'GCP' worksheet contains "4339 NE Alberta" (which is the subject property
    address). I am referencing that cell to tell Excel which worksheet to find
    the data.

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7

    Re: Using Cell Data s Sheet Reference

    Now I really think it was the final double quote.