reformulating question regarding maximum value

  1. #1
    Frank Drost
    Guest

    reformulating question regarding maximum value

    I had an hour ago put a question up named "find maximum", but I had not
    formulated my query fully, hence this query.

    In each row, I want to find the second highest value in that row, and then
    as output give the value of that cell in the first row.
    For example:

    1 2 6 8 6 5 4 3
    2 4 5 6 3 2 3 8
    6 4 5 3 7 2 3 1

    The second largest value in the second row is nr 6. It is in the fourht cell
    of that row. The fourth cell of the first row is the value 8. This should be
    the output for the second row.
    The second largest value in the third row is the number 6. It is in the
    first cell of that row. The first cell of the first row has the value 1. This
    should be the output for the third row.

    I assume that such a thing needs to be set up with conditional formatting.
    Does anyone have an idea how to do this?

    Regards,

  2. #2
    Govind
    Guest

    Re: reformulating question regarding maximum value

    Hi,

    Lets say your range is between cells A1 to H3,
    Use

    =INDEX($A$1:$H$3,1,MATCH(LARGE($A$2:$H$2,2),$A$2:$H$2,0)) to get the
    value of second largest value in Row 2 and to return the corresponding
    vlaue in Row 1

    use

    =INDEX($A$1:$H$3,1,MATCH(LARGE($A$3:$H$3,2),$A$3:$H$3,0))

    to get the value of second largest value in Row 3 and to return the
    corresponding value in Row 1

    Regards

    Govind.

  3. #3
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: reformulating question regarding maximum value

    If your numbers run from Column A to H,
    Try this formula in I2:

    =INDEX($A$1:$H$1,MATCH(LARGE($A2:$H2,2),$A2:$H2,0))

    And copy down as needed.

    In case of ties, this will return the location of the *first* second largest
    number.
    --
    HTH,

    RD