Constant between workbooks

  1. #1
    Krmsy
    Guest

    Constant between workbooks

    I'm trying to copy a sample worksheet from one workbook to another workbook
    to pull in certain data into a new format. When I do this, it just
    references the information in the old workbook instead of the new workbook.
    Is there a constant that I can put in so that is doesn't name the workbook in
    the files I'm originally referencing, but instead from the new workbook,
    worksheet I'm trying to reference? Hope I'm making sense.

  2. #2

    Re: Constant between workbooks

    I like to do this:

    Change the formulas to strings, copy the ranges, paste the ranges, and then
    convert them back to formulas.

    Select the range to copy in the original workbook
    edit|replace
    what: = (equal sign)
    with: $$$$$
    replace all

    Then copy|paste. Since you're just pasting strings (not formulas), they won't
    point back to the old workbook.

    After you paste, do the opposite:

    Select the pasted range
    edit|replace
    what: $$$$$
    with: =
    replace all

    Do it for both ranges.

    And don't forget to fix the original workbook (or close it without saving).