Importing number as text. How?

  1. #1
    lwoods
    Guest

    Importing number as text. How?

    I have a csv file with zip codes (5 digit):

    "asdf","asdf","53902"

    Excel is DETERMINED to convert the zip code column to a number. Of course
    the problem is that certain zip codes have only 4 digits and Excel won't
    keep the leading zero. There is a Microsoft article that says to put a
    leading blank in the field, but this doesn't work.

    How do I import these zip codes as text, and not numbers?

    TIA,

    Larry Woods

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Importing number as text. How?

    Rename the file from .csv to .txt:

    This will cause Excel to invoke an import wizard. You can then specify text
    fields
    --
    Gary's Student