Dbase and Spss excel conversions

  1. #1
    Sabretooth
    Guest

    Dbase and Spss excel conversions

    Hi everyone,

    I have exported two sheets of data one from ARCGIS dbf and one from
    SPSS toand excel sheet.

    I am trying to use vlookup to match the data from both sheets and
    replace any missing values with zeros. The result is all are regarded
    as missing unless I have manually retyped the id field (for the
    vlookup) in both sheets - then a result is returned. I think it has
    something to do with formatting but can't work out what the problem is
    and as there are over 12,000 ids I don't want to many reenter them.

    Any suggestions on how to get the formatting the same for both sheets??
    thanks!

    --
    Sabretooth
    Sabretooth's Profile: http://helpfeeds.com/member.php?userid=1253

  2. #2

    Re: Dbase and Spss excel conversions

    I would guess that one key is numeric and one key is text (but looks like
    numbers).

    It's not enough to change formats--you have to change values.

    Debra Dalgleish has some troubleshooting techniques at:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

  3. #3
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Dbase and Spss excel conversions

    I came across a quick tip the other day that you might like to try.
    Highlight the column of IDs that you suspect might be text, then Data |
    Text to Column then click Finish - this will convert them to numerics
    (if they comprise only numbers). Only takes a few seconds.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete