Path to Lookup from another document

  1. #1

    Unhappy Path to Lookup from another document

    Hi, first post ever ever! Can you help?

    When using worksheet "A" I want an equation to look at one cell reference in worksheet "B" searching for same reference and pull information through. Worksheet "B" may not be open when lookup needs to operate.
    Keep Smilin'

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Path to Lookup from another document

    Open workbook B.
    Goto workbook A.
    In your cell, type = then Ctrl-F6 to get to workbook, select the cell, then
    Enter.

    Workbook A will update the path when workbook B is closed.

    RP

    "Boethius1" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    [QUOTE=Bob Phillips]Open workbook B.
    Goto workbook A.
    In your cell, type = then Ctrl-F6 to get to workbook, select the cell, then
    Enter.

    Workbook A will update the path when workbook B is closed.

    Wow that was a quick reply, thanks it works great BUT!

    with that method I am still doing the search, I want an automatic method. I have typed the following equation but it is not working, any ideas why path is wrong?

    =VLOOKUPC10('C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New Code Setup\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

    With this equation I am trying to look up number from C4 within the range of C4 to H41 from the file shown in path so that it will pull through the text from column 3.

  4. #4
    ERR229
    Guest

    Re: Path to Lookup from another document

    The syntax is incorrect - your paran is in the wrong place and you're missing
    a comma:

    You have
    =VLOOKUPC10('C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New Code
    Setup\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

    You should have
    =VLOOKUP(C10,'C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New Code
    Setup\gcodenewsetupcopy.xlsSheet1'!C4:H81,3)

    BTW, you may want to add the final range argument to be "false" to avoid the
    lookup bringing in the "closest match" to the requested data.
    =VLOOKUPC10('C:\Documents and Settings\SharonS\My Documents\New Code
    Setup\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3, false)

    Hope this helps.
    --
    ERR229

  5. #5
    Hi, thanks for your reply. However still can't get to work.

    Have simplified path to

    =VLOOKUP(C10,'C:\New Code Set up\[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

    When ask it to look it does not pull through info and deletes the C: drive and folder path from equation to leave

    =VLOOKUP(C10,[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3)

    Very confusing!

    Thanks for the BTW but first things first!

    Thanks, Sharon

    ----------------------

    Quote Originally Posted by ERR229

  6. #6
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Path to Lookup from another document

    That's because the workbook you lookup in is open, if you close it you'll
    get the full path

    Peo Sjoblom

    Portland, Oregon

  7. #7
    Thanks Peo, that makes sense. However problem remains the equation is still not pulling through required information.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    --------------

    Quote Originally Posted by Peo Sjoblom

  8. #8
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Path to Lookup from another document

    Can you do this test, open both workbooks, then use

    =C10= go to the other work book and click on the cell that is supposedly a
    match, then press enter.

    If you get FALSE there might be things like trailing or leading spaces, if
    imported from the web there might be invisible line feed like char 160

    Also use ,0 after the 3 (column index) like

    =VLOOKUP(C10,[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3,0)

    or FALSE like in (0 is the same as FALSE in this case)

    =VLOOKUP(C10,[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4:H81,3,FALSE)

    that way your formula looks for an exact match (I believe this was mentioned
    by an earlier poster) and can explain unexpected errors

    Post back if you get FALSE with the comparison cell to cell

    =C10=[gcodenewsetupcopy.xls]Sheet1'!C4

    replace C4 with the cell you are sure is a match in the lookup workbook

    Peo Sjoblom

    Portland, Oregon

  9. #9

    Talking

    Hi and thanks, problem is sorted. Think it might have been the "FALSE" addition but I have a feeling it was more to do with me walking away from the problem for a couple of days!! Being self-trained on excel I am sure it could get it to work a lot harder for me if I knew what I was doing!
    Thanks again, I am working on my next problem.