To automatically give fiscal period/fiscal year

  1. #1

    To automatically give fiscal period/fiscal year

    I need to put the current fiscal period and year into a cell. Our fiscal year starts in October, which is period 1, November is period 2, through to September which is period 12. As the fiscal year runs October - September, it is named after the year it mostly falls in, so for instance Dec 2005 is 3/2006 (period/fiscal year).

    Is there a way to automatically put the period and year in a cell (it is normally written in the form period/fiscal year - but this is not essential), by adapting the =TODAY() function or otherwise.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: To automatically give fiscal period/fiscal year

    =TEXT(DATE(YEAR(A15),MONTH(A15)+3,1),"m/yyyy")

    Bob Phillips

    "Turnipboy" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Thanks it works just as I had hoped.

    Could you explain how the formula gives the year as I requested, as I cannot figure out why it does not just give the same year that is in cell A15?

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: To automatically give fiscal period/fiscal year

    Because I add 3 months to it, when I do MONTH(A15)+3, so that Oct 2005
    becomes Jan 2006 in the formula that is formatted.

  5. #5
    Thanks. I now have the current fiscal period and fiscal year in a cell in the above form (period/fiscal year). I also have a cell with indicates when the speadsheet was last updated in terms of period/fiscal year (i.e. the same format). How can I get a cell to say "Please update" if the spreadsheet has not been updated for six months.

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: To automatically give fiscal period/fiscal year

    =IF(DATE(RIGHT(D10,4),LEFT(D10,FIND("/",D10)-1)+6,1)<DATE(RIGHT(C10,4),LEFT(
    C10,FIND("/",C10)-1),1),"Please update","")

    just change the cells to your two.

  7. #7
    Thanks, works great and very elegant (much better than my attempts)

  8. #8
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: To automatically give fiscal period/fiscal year

    Hi

    Using Bob's idea, you could make life a little simpler.
    Custom format your cells Format>Cells>Number>Custom> m/yyyy
    Then to fix the month 3 months on, use Bob's formula without the Text()
    function
    =DATE(YEAR(A16),MONTH(A16)+3,1)

    which then simplifies the next formula to
    =IF(MONTH(D10)-MONTH(C10)>6,"Please Update","")

    --
    Regards

    Roger Govier

    news:[email protected]...