tricky sorting question

  1. #1
    RobR
    Guest

    tricky sorting question

    I need to sort all records by the last 4 digits in a particular column.
    ie, my data looks like

    alskjflkja0023
    lkahsflkjf0021
    mnslfkjas0019

    I need to order all records by the last 4 digits. Any ideas on
    how to go about doing that? All entries are 17 characters
    long so it would be the right most 4 digits of the 17 character
    string. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Beege
    Guest

    Re: tricky sorting question

    RobR,

    I suggest a helper column, with a formula like =RIGHT(A1,4)
    Bring the formula down as far as needed, and sort on that column.

    Beege

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    RobR
    Guest

    Re: tricky sorting question

    Brilliant, worked perfectly. Thanks!

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: tricky sorting question

    sIf this is something that you have to do frequently, you may be interested
    in Jim Cone's fine commercial Add-in called "SpecialSort". It will do this
    as a standard feature, along with many other types of sorts...........it'a
    available at

    http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware/

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3