The Sum of It All

  1. #1
    Lost at Sea
    Guest

    The Sum of It All

    I am trying to get my databases to equal the same amount Based on the same
    numbers but different totals (i.e. one data base has in column one 2.5, 3,
    1.75, 3.25; column two has 1.5, 2, 5.3. The second data base has 10.50 in one
    column and 8.8 in the second.) However, no matter what I do I cannot get the
    sums to be equal. Is there something that I am missing or has my brain gone
    passed mental meltdown?
    --
    --"The second hand unwinds..."--

    Vaya con Dios, my darling;
    Vaya con Dios my love.

  2. #2
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: The Sum of It All

    If the figures are calculated there may be rounding issues (for
    example, 1.75 could actually be 1.748). Excel is using the actual cell
    values and not the displayed values when comparing figures.

    Try rounding your results to 2 places where you are calculating figures.

  3. #3
    Lost at Sea
    Guest

    Re: The Sum of It All

    They are all only two decimal places. I am trying to do these databases with
    currency. Would the currency have anything to do with it at all?
    --
    --"The second hand unwinds..."--

    Vaya con Dios, my darling;
    Vaya con Dios my love.

  4. #4
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: The Sum of It All

    > They are all only two decimal places.
    > I am trying to do these databases with
    > currency. Would the currency have
    > anything to do with it at all?

    That shouldn't have anything to do with it as far as I know.

    If the figures are all entered as you showed in your original post then
    I would be at a loss to explain the problem.

    If any figures are calculated, that's where the discrepancy can arise
    between the figures you see and the actual underlying values. If the
    *values* are different by the tiniest fraction, you won't get them to
    show as equal.

    Are any of the figures the result of dividing one number by another?
    That often traps me unless I round the results.

  5. #5
    Lost at Sea
    Guest

    Re: The Sum of It All

    No, everything is added to each other. I really don't understand this at
    all. I mean, at first I thought that I was just absolutely horrible in math
    and had no clue what it was that I was doing, however, I went and added up
    the categories for the subtotals via Excel formulas, and nothing is adding
    up. The differences are anywhere from $22.01 between database 1 and 2 and
    $225.00 between database 1 and three. I'm totally lost here.
    --
    --"The second hand unwinds..."--

    Vaya con Dios, my darling;
    Vaya con Dios my love.

  6. #6
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: The Sum of It All

    Do you have three sets of data in one workbook? Three separate
    workbooks? We may need to get into specifics here.

    To guess, given the size of the discrepencies (I was thinking in terms
    of hundredths or thousandths of a unit), you may be adding too many (or
    too few) numbers in some of your calculations. Are you using ranges in
    your calculations? If so, are you copying them down a column or across
    a row? The resulting formulae in other cells may be referring to cells
    you didn't intend unless you are using absolute references.