Vertical Text

  1. #1
    Brian
    Guest

    Vertical Text

    Howdy All,

    Just wanted to see if this is possible.

    I want to display text in cells vertically so that cell A1which contains
    0001 will appear like this:

    With a space between the second and third zero.

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. #2
    CLR
    Guest

    RE: Vertical Text

    Press Alt-Enter after entering each character and once more for the extra
    "linefeed" between the zeros.........finish with a regular Enter"

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  3. #3

    Re: Vertical Text

    You can enter 1 in the cell
    Format|cells|number tab
    custom
    00 00
    Then go to the alignment tab to -90.

    This will actually show the value on its side.

    If that doesn't work for you, you could enter the value as:

    0(alt-enter)
    0(alt-enter)
    (alt-enter)
    0(alt-enter)
    1

    Alt-enter will force a new line within the cell.

  4. #4
    Brian
    Guest

    Re: Vertical Text

    Thanks for the replies.

    But I need to format a whole worksheet like this, so I don't really want to
    have to retype all the data.

    Any way to format the text to display vertically?

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Vertical Text

    Use this formula.........
    =LEFT(A1,1)&CHAR(10)&MID(A1,2,2)&CHAR(10)&CHAR(10)&MID(A1,5,5)-1&CHAR(10)&RIGHT(A1,1)

    Then, enter ONE cell somewhere off area formatted as advised previously by
    hand, using the Alt-Enter after each character................then using the
    FormatPainter, copy this format over to the above formulaed cells..........

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  6. #6

    Re: Vertical Text

    You could use a macro to change the values, too.

    Select your range to fix and run this:

    Option Explicit
    Sub testme()

    Dim myRng As Range
    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim myStr As String
    Dim iCtr As Long

    Set myRng = Nothing
    On Error Resume Next
    Set myRng = Intersect(Selection, _
    Selection.Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants))
    On Error GoTo 0

    If myRng Is Nothing Then
    MsgBox "No constants here!"
    Exit Sub
    End If

    For Each myCell In myRng.Cells
    myStr = myCell.Text
    If Len(myStr) > 4 Then
    MsgBox myCell.Address(0, 0) & " not changed!"
    Else
    myStr = Right("0000" & myStr, 4)
    myStr = Mid(myStr, 1, 1) & vbLf _
    & Mid(myStr, 2, 1) & vbLf & vbLf _
    & Mid(myStr, 3, 1) & vbLf _
    & Mid(myStr, 4, 1)
    myCell.Value = myStr
    myCell.WrapText = True
    End If
    Next myCell

  7. #7
    Brian
    Guest

    Re: Vertical Text

    Thanks Chuck, works like a charm.

    BTW, why can't I just format the original numbers with the format painter
    (doesn't work)?

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Vertical Text

    'cause the CHAR() characters aren't in there in the original numbers...they
    are kinda-sorta a part of the TEXT rather than part of the format
    <G>............anyway, glad you got it working and thanks for the
    feedback.............

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  9. #9
    Brian
    Guest

    Re: Vertical Text

    Thanks again Chuck.

    BTW, I hope that CABGx3 in you sig doesn't mean you have had a triple
    bypass!!!

  10. #10
    CLR
    Guest

    Re: Vertical Text

    Yup, 'bout 6 years ago.........doing fine now, thanks

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck=SUM(091938,USMCe4,DADx3,CABGx3,MMOUS2k)

  11. #11
    RagDyer
    Guest

    Re: Vertical Text

    You can do *exactly* what you want with formatting,
    And then use the format painter to duplicate it in other cells.

    Select A1, and start off with a custom format exactly as Dave suggested:
    00 00

    *Don't* hit OK yet,
    Click on the "Alignment" tab,
    And click in that tall, narrow box that displays 'Text' vertically,
    NOW hit <OK>
    And you've got exactly what you're looking for !
    --
    HTH,

    RD

  12. #12
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Boston, MA US
    Posts
    1,094
    Another option.

    Excel has a built in Vertical Text tool that you can add to any toolbar.

    Right click on any toolbar and select Customize from the drop down. The Customize option window appears. Select Format in the left hand list and scroll down the list on the right until you find the Vertical Text option. Select and drag this to any toolbar. Close the customize option window.

    Select the cell you wish to have the text displayed vertically and click on the tool. The text now appears vertically. You can incorporate a space wherever you want it by typing in the text the same way i.e. 0001 should be typed in with the space 00 01. You can then use the format painter to apply to all cells needed. That way as you type in the data, it automatically converts to the vertical format.

    HTH

    Steve