May be dumb but...

  1. #1
    Shawn Shuler
    Guest

    May be dumb but...

    I have two columns, one with labels for the inormation in the second,
    numerical data, column.

    A 9
    B 8
    C 10

    I want to determine the minimum value of the second column (8) and place it
    in a cell. I also need the label for that minimum value (B) to go into
    another column.

    I can get the minimum, no problem. How, though, do I get a cell to then
    pick off the label? If I could combine some functions I could do it but
    that doesn't work in Excel.

  2. #2
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: May be dumb but...

    One way:

    =INDEX(A:A,MATCH(MIN(B:B),B:B,FALSE))

  3. #3
    Zack Barresse
    Guest

    Re: May be dumb but...

    Hi there,

    Something like this ..

    =MIN(B1:B10)

    =INDEX(A1:B10,MATCH(MIN(B1:B10),B1:B10,0),1)

    This is assuming your range of course (A1:B10); change to suit.

    Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack)
    To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep correspondence to the board, as
    to benefit others.

    news:u%[email protected]...